Creating a foreign key on the Union of two tables

From
saads@umich.edu (Saad Saeed)
Date:
I have 2 tables "A" and "B" in mySQL. They both have an attribute 'id'
which is unique between the 2 tables. I want the union of these 2
attributes to be a foreign key in a 3rd table "C". How do I specify
this constraing in sql (mySQL) in table C? And for complex reasons I
cannot merge the 2 tables A and B.

Thanks,

-Saad

Re: Creating a foreign key on the Union of two tables

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 17:53, Saad Saeed wrote:
> I have 2 tables "A" and "B" in mySQL. They both have an attribute 'id'
> which is unique between the 2 tables. I want the union of these 2
> attributes to be a foreign key in a 3rd table "C". How do I specify
> this constraing in sql (mySQL) in table C? And for complex reasons I
> cannot merge the 2 tables A and B.

Can't say for MySQL (since this is a PostgreSQL list!!!!!), but creating
a foreign key like that to 2 different tables is against spec because
one cannot create a unique constraint across 2 tables.

That said, you could create a set of pl/pgsql functions that can imitate
what a foreign key does and will work in the situation you describe --
if you're using PostgreSQL.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc

Re: Creating a foreign key on the Union of two tables

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 14:53:50 -0700, Saad Saeed <saads@umich.edu> wrote:
> I have 2 tables "A" and "B" in mySQL. They both have an attribute 'id'
> which is unique between the 2 tables. I want the union of these 2
> attributes to be a foreign key in a 3rd table "C". How do I specify
> this constraing in sql (mySQL) in table C? And for complex reasons I
> cannot merge the 2 tables A and B.

One way to do this is to have two foreign key references from C. One to
A and the other to B. To make sure just one of these is used, you can
use a constraint in C to make sure exactly one of the columns is null.
This technique doesn't need for the IDs in A and B to be unique accross
both tables.

Re: Creating a foreign key on the Union of two tables

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Saad,

> I have 2 tables "A" and "B" in mySQL. They both have an attribute 'id'
> which is unique between the 2 tables. I want the union of these 2
> attributes to be a foreign key in a 3rd table "C". How do I specify
> this constraing in sql (mySQL) in table C? And for complex reasons I
> cannot merge the 2 tables A and B.

IMHO, you cannot do this in MySQL.  How about upgrading to PostgreSQL?  Then
we can help you.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

Re: Creating a foreign key on the Union of two tables

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Rod Taylor wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 17:53, Saad Saeed wrote:
> > I have 2 tables "A" and "B" in mySQL. They both have an attribute 'id'
> > which is unique between the 2 tables. I want the union of these 2
> > attributes to be a foreign key in a 3rd table "C". How do I specify
> > this constraing in sql (mySQL) in table C? And for complex reasons I
> > cannot merge the 2 tables A and B.
>
> Can't say for MySQL (since this is a PostgreSQL list!!!!!), but creating
> a foreign key like that to 2 different tables is against spec because
> one cannot create a unique constraint across 2 tables.
>
> That said, you could create a set of pl/pgsql functions that can imitate
> what a foreign key does and will work in the situation you describe --
> if you're using PostgreSQL.

Or seeting up table D plus custom triggers on A and B so that D contains
the union of both. That would result in a virtual unique constraint over
A and B together since the foreign key constraint now against D requires
it's id column to be unique.

Without more background on the purpose or the underlying business
process it's hard though to tell what's best.

Jan