Off topic : world database

From
Rudi Starcevic
Date:
Hi,

I have a slightly off SQL topic question which I don't think is too
inappropriate,
if it is please let me know and I'll not push my luck again of my
*favorite email list*.

I'd like to build a Postgresql database of Countries,States and Cities
of the world.
I would like to use 'earthdistance' module so distance queries are possible.
I plan to expose this data as an SOAP webservice via xmethods.com for
others to
access as well.

I've been searching for a source for this data without joy so far and
would like to
ask if someone on this list could point me to or help with a source for
this info.
Ideally I'd like Country,States,and Cities with Longitude and Latitude
coordinates.

Thank you kindly,
Again if this is too off topic let me know and I'll keep all my
questions strictly to SQL.
Regards
Rudi.

Re: Off topic : world database

From
"Ryan"
Date:
> Hi,
>
> I have a slightly off SQL topic question which I don't think is too
> inappropriate,
> if it is please let me know and I'll not push my luck again of my
> *favorite email list*.
>
> I'd like to build a Postgresql database of Countries,States and Cities
> of the world.
> I would like to use 'earthdistance' module so distance queries are
> possible. I plan to expose this data as an SOAP webservice via
> xmethods.com for  others to
> access as well.
>
> I've been searching for a source for this data without joy so far and
> would like to
> ask if someone on this list could point me to or help with a source for
> this info.
> Ideally I'd like Country,States,and Cities with Longitude and Latitude
> coordinates.
>
> Thank you kindly,
> Again if this is too off topic let me know and I'll keep all my
> questions strictly to SQL.
> Regards
> Rudi.
Your best bet is buying a good zipcode database that has lat/long, but
would only really help you in the USA.  This kind of data tends not to be
cheap...

Ryan

Re: Off topic : world database

From
Michael A Nachbaur
Date:
On March 26, 2003 10:56 pm, Ryan wrote:
> Your best bet is buying a good zipcode database that has lat/long, but
> would only really help you in the USA.  This kind of data tends not to be
> cheap...

Either that, or web scrape mapquest.com or some other site that provides
lat/long for returned results, but that probably violates the acceptable use
policy of those sites.

I for one would be very interested in such a web service (I'd really like a
address / street lookup to find lat/longs for addresses, but thats not likely
to happen).

Re: Off topic : world database

From
"Tamir Halperin"
Date:
I would imagine that since neither the size of the earth, nor the laws of mathematics and geometry have any scheduled
changespending for their source code any time in the near future, it's reasonable to rely on the long/lat information
andextrapolate the distances using basic planet earth dimensions.

There are only so many degrees along the arc of any given sphere (360) and there are only so many minutes in a degree.

The size of the earth represents only one number that needs to be looked up unless you care to include miles in
additionto the international standard of km. If so, then you have an additional factor to consider in your
calcualations.

Am I making any sense?

Tamir

Re: Off topic : world database

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Rudi Starcevic wrote:
> I'd like to build a Postgresql database of Countries,States and
> Cities of the world. I would like to use 'earthdistance' module so
> distance queries are possible. I plan to expose this data as an SOAP
> webservice via xmethods.com for others to access as well.
>
> I've been searching for a source for this data without joy so far and
>  would like to ask if someone on this list could point me to or help
> with a source for this info. Ideally I'd like Country,States,and
> Cities with Longitude and Latitude coordinates.

See:  http://www.pawprint.net/wt/beta.php

The program (WorldTime) is free but not open source. It comes with a
file named export.all.txt that includes ID, DSTID, Name, Country,
Region, City, IATA, Code, UTC Offset, Latitude, Longitude, and
Description for each of ~1300 locations world-wide. It isn't clear from
the license whether you can use this file the way you want, but you
could always contact the author and ask. The bottom few lines of the
license.txt read:

"for further information Please contact the author at:
WorldTime@PawPrint.Net
or visit the WorldTime home page @ http://www.pawprint.net/wt/"

HTH,

Joe

Re: Off topic : world database

From
John Hasler
Date:
Joe Conway writes:
> It isn't clear from the license whether you can use this file the way you
> want...

It is, however, clear that you can use the _data_ in the file any way you
want as long as you convert it to a completely different format.  The file
is protected by copyright but the data it contains is not as a mere
compilation of data is not a creative work.  (I'm assuming US law applies).
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org

Re: Off topic : world database

From
Rudi Starcevic
Date:
Hi,

I found this:

Global Gazetteer
This is a directory of 2880532 of the world's cities and towns, sorted
by country and linked to a map for each town.

http://www.calle.com/world/index.html

A good starting point but it's Countries and Cities not Countries, State
then Cities.

Getting warmer ...

I haven't seen/found the license yet ...

Regards
Rudi.

Rudi Starcevic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a slightly off SQL topic question which I don't think is too
> inappropriate,
> if it is please let me know and I'll not push my luck again of my
> *favorite email list*.
>
> I'd like to build a Postgresql database of Countries,States and Cities
> of the world.
> I would like to use 'earthdistance' module so distance queries are
> possible.
> I plan to expose this data as an SOAP webservice via xmethods.com for
> others to
> access as well.
>
> I've been searching for a source for this data without joy so far and
> would like to
> ask if someone on this list could point me to or help with a source
> for this info.
> Ideally I'd like Country,States,and Cities with Longitude and Latitude
> coordinates.
>
> Thank you kindly,
> Again if this is too off topic let me know and I'll keep all my
> questions strictly to SQL.
> Regards
> Rudi.

Re: Off topic : world database

From
Achilleus Mantzios
Date:
On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Rudi Starcevic wrote:

I have ports with longitude, latitude.
(in a pgsql table for your convinience :)

> Hi,
>
> I have a slightly off SQL topic question which I don't think is too
> inappropriate,
> if it is please let me know and I'll not push my luck again of my
> *favorite email list*.
>
> I'd like to build a Postgresql database of Countries,States and Cities
> of the world.
> I would like to use 'earthdistance' module so distance queries are possible.
> I plan to expose this data as an SOAP webservice via xmethods.com for
> others to
> access as well.
>
> I've been searching for a source for this data without joy so far and
> would like to
> ask if someone on this list could point me to or help with a source for
> this info.
> Ideally I'd like Country,States,and Cities with Longitude and Latitude
> coordinates.
>
> Thank you kindly,
> Again if this is too off topic let me know and I'll keep all my
> questions strictly to SQL.
> Regards
> Rudi.

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer
IT dept
Dynacom Tankers Mngmt
Nikis 4, Glyfada
Athens 16610
Greece
tel:    +30-210-8981112
fax:    +30-210-8981877
email:  achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com       mantzios@softlab.ece.ntua.gr

Re: Off topic : world database

From
Tomasz Myrta
Date:
Uz.ytkownik Rudi Starcevic napisa?:
> Hi,
>
> I have a slightly off SQL topic question which I don't think is too
> inappropriate,
> if it is please let me know and I'll not push my luck again of my
> *favorite email list*.
>
> I'd like to build a Postgresql database of Countries,States and Cities
> of the world.
> I would like to use 'earthdistance' module so distance queries are
> possible.
> I plan to expose this data as an SOAP webservice via xmethods.com for
> others to
> access as well.
>
> I've been searching for a source for this data without joy so far and
> would like to
> ask if someone on this list could point me to or help with a source for
> this info.
> Ideally I'd like Country,States,and Cities with Longitude and Latitude
> coordinates.
>
> Thank you kindly,
> Again if this is too off topic let me know and I'll keep all my
> questions strictly to SQL.
> Regards
> Rudi.
Did you try to ask people related to PostGIS ? They work with maps, so
maybe they know where to get such list without license problems.

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta

Re: Off topic : world database

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 10:06:08 +1000, Rudi Starcevic <rudi@oasis.net.au> wrote:

> I've been searching for a source for this data without joy so far and
> would like to
> ask if someone on this list could point me to or help with a source for
> this info.
> Ideally I'd like Country,States,and Cities with Longitude and Latitude
> coordinates.

You can get data for the US for free. With a combination of Tiger and FIPS
data you can get Latitude and Longitude coordinates for street addresses.
There was an entry related to this in last year's Google contest. Finding
that entry will provide you with instructions for getting the data (unless
the government has decided it is too dangerous because of possible terrorism
since last summer). The project has some software for doing street address
to to Latitude and Longitude conversion. You will need to decide what point
in a city you will want to use.

Re: Off topic : world database

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 16:55:21 +0000, Michael A Nachbaur <mike@nachbaur.com> wrote:

> I for one would be very interested in such a web service (I'd really like a
> address / street lookup to find lat/longs for addresses, but thats not likely
> to happen).

Its already there for the US. A guy did this for last year's Google
contest. I have plans to add it to a web site I run to enable boardgame players
to find other boardgame players within a certian distance.

How to configure two netcard for PostgreSQL?

From
"dailiming"
Date:
Hi,everybody:   Today ,I have met a problem.   I have two netcard. One is eth0 192.168.1.10/255.255.255.0
the other is eth1 192.168.0.10/255.255.255.0
   When I conenct database use "psql -h 192.168.0.10 cityDB" , I cann't connect database.   When I connect database use
"psql-h 192.168.1.10 cityDB", I can connect database.

   In fact ,I want to connect database through the two netcard. What should I do for finishing the idea ?

Please help.
thanks.

leon
2003/03/28

Re: How to configure two netcard for PostgreSQL?

From
Popeanga Marian
Date:
Try first to ping both addresses.
You need to add routing for your both ip classes.
Why not use those two net cards in the same address class ?

dailiming wrote:

>Hi,everybody:
>    Today ,I have met a problem.
>    I have two netcard. One is eth0 192.168.1.10/255.255.255.0
>the other is eth1 192.168.0.10/255.255.255.0
>
>    When I conenct database use "psql -h 192.168.0.10 cityDB" , I cann't connect database.
>    When I connect database use "psql -h 192.168.1.10 cityDB", I can connect database.
>
>    In fact ,I want to connect database through the two netcard. What should I do for finishing the idea ?
>
>Please help.
>thanks.
>
>leon
>2003/03/28
>
>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet,
pleasesend an appropriatesubscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that yourmessage can get through to
themailing list cleanly

--
Popeanga Marian
DBA Oracle

Re: How to configure two netcard for PostgreSQL?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
dailiming writes:

>     In fact ,I want to connect database through the two netcard. What should I do for finishing the idea ?

Read the chapter on client authentication.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Off topic : world database

From
"Alain Gougeon"
Date:
Many astrological programs and web sites rely on databases of cities with
latitude and longitude. There are bunches of these, as well as books. Try
for example www.astro.com. You could always write to these guys and ask
them. As they are in that trade they probably know very well where and how
you can obtain that information.

Alain Gougeon

Re: Off topic : world database

From
Vernon
Date:
I have a related question: how to find out all postal codes within a distance, say 500 km, or 1000 km, of a giving
postal

code. Where I can get the data of US and Canada?

Thanks,

Vernon

27/03/2003 9:03:21 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 10:06:08 +1000,
>  Rudi Starcevic <rudi@oasis.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> I've been searching for a source for this data without joy so far and
>> would like to
>> ask if someone on this list could point me to or help with a source for
>> this info.
>> Ideally I'd like Country,States,and Cities with Longitude and Latitude
>> coordinates.
>
>You can get data for the US for free. With a combination of Tiger and FIPS
>data you can get Latitude and Longitude coordinates for street addresses.
>There was an entry related to this in last year's Google contest. Finding
>that entry will provide you with instructions for getting the data (unless
>the government has decided it is too dangerous because of possible terrorism
>since last summer). The project has some software for doing street address
>to to Latitude and Longitude conversion. You will need to decide what point
>in a city you will want to use.

Re: Off topic : world database

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 15:28:05 -0800,
  Vernon <vernonw@gatewaytech.com> wrote:

> I have a related question: how to find out all postal codes within a distance, say 500 km, or 1000 km, of a giving
postal
> code. Where I can get the data of US and Canada?

For the US the attached README file may prove useful.

The site you get the tiger data from has (or at least did 9 months ago) some
download limits that were enforced in the middle of file transfers. This
causes problems using the recommended method of using wget as it doesn't
refetch the partially transferred files.

Attachment

Re: Off topic : world database

From
Rudi Starcevic
Date:
Hi all,

A quick email to let you know where I'm at with the 'world database'.
Thanks to all the replies and tips.

I've recieved a couple of off list tips and questions so in order to
reach every one I'll reply via this list.

So far I haven't got all the info together.
Countries like the US and Australia are easy - there's plenty of freely
available data.
Getting the entire globe is another question all together.

I stll have some leads to follow up however those remaining leads will
surely required some dollars.
So far the the best list I have come across is at
http://www.calle.com/world.
This site has Countries and Cities - what's needed is Countries, States
and cities.

I know other site's out there are using the info I'm after.
One site for example is date.com
At this site, a global dating site, no matter which county your from you
will drill down into your
state and then city. Once your logged in you can search for matches and
limit by distance.
One of the many uses for a world database.

I hope to eventually report back with a url and web services for us all
so we can use
this info in the greatest database ever - PG.

Cheers
Kind regards
Rudi.

Rudi Starcevic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a slightly off SQL topic question which I don't think is too
> inappropriate,
> if it is please let me know and I'll not push my luck again of my
> *favorite email list*.
>
> I'd like to build a Postgresql database of Countries,States and Cities
> of the world.
> I would like to use 'earthdistance' module so distance queries are
> possible.
> I plan to expose this data as an SOAP webservice via xmethods.com for
> others to
> access as well.
>
> I've been searching for a source for this data without joy so far and
> would like to
> ask if someone on this list could point me to or help with a source
> for this info.
> Ideally I'd like Country,States,and Cities with Longitude and Latitude
> coordinates.
>
> Thank you kindly,
> Again if this is too off topic let me know and I'll keep all my
> questions strictly to SQL.
> Regards
> Rudi.

Re: How to configure two netcard for PostgreSQL?

From
"dailiming"
Date:
Yes, I have already set the two Ip address in the pg_hba.conf file .
But It do nothing.
So I htought adding some messages in the router table may be a way.

Thanks.

Date:
"dailiming" <ldai@accunettech.com> writes:
> Yes, I have already set the two Ip address in the pg_hba.conf file .
> But It do nothing.

No, what you need is to put in the addresses or address ranges of all
the machines that will connect through either net card.  (And don't
forget to SIGHUP the postmaster after you change its config file.)

The fact that there are multiple net cards doesn't matter at all;
Postgres should bind to its port number on each of the machine's IP
addresses, automatically.
        regards, tom lane

Re: How to configure two netcard for PostgreSQL?

From
"dailiming"
Date:
I try again.
F.E:
First,I modified the pg_hba.conf cfg file.

host all 192.168.0.10 255.255.255.0 trust
host all 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0 trust

Second, I used "/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql" to stopping the postmaster.
Finally, I restart the postmaster by "/usr/bin/postmaster -i -S -D /var/lib/pgsql/lib/data".

When I telnet 192.168.0.10 to connect database,I have the same results as before.

"psql -h 192.168.0.10 coredb  " is failed.
"psql -h 192.168.1.10 coredb "  is successed.

Why the first is failed?

thanks.

> > Yes, I have already set the two Ip address in the pg_hba.conf file .
> > But It do nothing.
>
> No, what you need is to put in the addresses or address ranges of all
> the machines that will connect through either net card.  (And don't
> forget to SIGHUP the postmaster after you change its config file.)
>
> The fact that there are multiple net cards doesn't matter at all;
> Postgres should bind to its port number on each of the machine's IP
> addresses, automatically.
>
> regards, tom lane

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: How to configure two netcard for PostgreSQL?

From
"dailiming"
Date:
Thank you very much.
I successed.
But I have a question. Why do I set  the single Ip address in pg_hba.conf that is failed?
Could you explain for me?
Thank your help.