Does anyone use TO_CHAR(INTERVAL)?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

We're discussing the behavior of the current "to_char(interval)" function on
HACKERS.   Does anyone on this list use the current behavior?   Please speak
up, as we're trying to figure out what backward compatibility needs to be
maintained.

PLEASE NOTE:  This is only to_char() for INTERVAL values, NOT for dates,
timestamp, or numeric!

Thanks!

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Does anyone use TO_CHAR(INTERVAL)?

From
Tomasz Myrta
Date:
Uz.ytkownik Josh Berkus napisa?:
> Folks,
>
> We're discussing the behavior of the current "to_char(interval)" function on
> HACKERS.   Does anyone on this list use the current behavior?   Please speak
> up, as we're trying to figure out what backward compatibility needs to be
> maintained.
>
> PLEASE NOTE:  This is only to_char() for INTERVAL values, NOT for dates,
> timestamp, or numeric!
In my projects intervals are always related to some dates when
displaying them, so I use to_char(date+interval).

It looks it could be useful to display how much time is left for
scheduling cases, but as I wrote few threads ago - displaying intervals
longer than one month is useless without specific date.

Anyway, maybe it should be left for future use, but without patterns
related to date, or maybe with DDD only?

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta

Re: Does anyone use TO_CHAR(INTERVAL)?

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 20:24:55 +0100, Tomasz Myrta <jasiek@klaster.net> wrote:
> Uz.ytkownik Josh Berkus napisa?:
>
> It looks it could be useful to display how much time is left for
> scheduling cases, but as I wrote few threads ago - displaying intervals
> longer than one month is useless without specific date.

That isn't true. Intervals have two parts. One is time difference in
fixed time and the other is a difference in months. You could display
both parts when they are both nonzero.

I haven't found the documenation too specific on which part gets added
first (and this does make a difference in some cases).

Re: Does anyone use TO_CHAR(INTERVAL)?

From
Karel Zak
Date:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 09:31:27AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We're discussing the behavior of the current "to_char(interval)" function on
> HACKERS.   Does anyone on this list use the current behavior?   Please speak
> up, as we're trying to figure out what backward compatibility needs to be
> maintained.
>
> PLEASE NOTE:  This is only to_char() for INTERVAL values, NOT for dates,
> timestamp, or numeric!
NOTE (I already said in hackers list): we can mark it as deprecatedin 7.4 and remove it in 7.5. What thinks about it
someonefrom coreteam?

   Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/

Re: Does anyone use TO_CHAR(INTERVAL)?

From
Tomasz Myrta
Date:
Uz.ytkownik Bruno Wolff III napisa?:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 20:24:55 +0100,
>   Tomasz Myrta <jasiek@klaster.net> wrote:
>
>>Uz.ytkownik Josh Berkus napisa?:
>>
>>It looks it could be useful to display how much time is left for
>>scheduling cases, but as I wrote few threads ago - displaying intervals
>>longer than one month is useless without specific date.
>

> That isn't true. Intervals have two parts. One is time difference in
> fixed time and the other is a difference in months. You could display
> both parts when they are both nonzero.
>
> I haven't found the documenation too specific on which part gets added
> first (and this does make a difference in some cases).
It looks like you are right:

SELECT cast('300 days' as interval)+cast('1 month' as interval);;    ?column?
---------------- 1 mon 300 days

SELECT to_char(cast('300 days' as interval)+cast('1 month' as
interval),'DDD');; to_char
--------- 300
(1 row)

SELECT to_char('2002-12-31'::timestamp
-'2002-01-01'::timestamp,'YYYY-MM-DD');;   to_char
------------- 0000-00-36
(1 row)

Thanks for noticing this, these results are really strange for me.
I should remember NOT to use months when working with intervals. It
looks like intervals contain 2 totally independent values inside.

I have one more question to this thread - Does anyone use intervals
month value?

Tomasz

Re: Does anyone use TO_CHAR(INTERVAL)?

From
Peter Childs
Date:
On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Tomasz Myrta wrote:

> Thanks for noticing this, these results are really strange for me.
> I should remember NOT to use months when working with intervals. It
> looks like intervals contain 2 totally independent values inside.
>
> I have one more question to this thread - Does anyone use intervals
> month value?
Since all months are not equal in length how do else do you come
up with an interval that is 1 month since us humans like to use months.As you note Postgres trys to ovide using Months
ifat all possible

because 1 month <> 1 month hense.

select (cast('2-2-2003' as date) + cast('1 month' as interval)) -
cast('2-2-2003' as date);?column?
----------28 days
(1 row)

but if all you say is 1 month from now how many days you month you mean
will mean a different number of days. Oh one more good one is....

select cast('1 year' as interval) - cast('365 days' as interval);    ?column?
------------------1 year -365 days
(1 row)
It would seam that a year is 12 months but not 365 days which
while this is true (due to leap years) most people would never think like
that. Its seams that postgres will not tell you how many days there are in
a year but this seams even more stupid

select cast('1 month' as interval)/2 * 2;?column?
----------360 days
(1 row)

oh and just when you thought somthing was really straght forward you
get...

select cast('1 year' as interval)/24 * 24;?column?
----------360 days
(1 row)
This reminds me of a calculator that comes with MS Windows....How ever the implementation in postgres is the best I've
seanso

long as you don't do anything stupid!

Peter Childs

Re: Does anyone use TO_CHAR(INTERVAL)?

From
Tomasz Myrta
Date:
Uz.ytkownik Peter Childs napisa?:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Tomasz Myrta wrote:
>

>>Thanks for noticing this, these results are really strange for me.
>>I should remember NOT to use months when working with intervals. It
>>looks like intervals contain 2 totally independent values inside.
>>
>>I have one more question to this thread - Does anyone use intervals
>>month value?
>

>     Since all months are not equal in length how do else do you come
> up with an interval that is 1 month since us humans like to use months.
>     As you note Postgres trys to ovide using Months if at all possible
> because 1 month <> 1 month hense.
>
> select (cast('2-2-2003' as date) + cast('1 month' as interval)) -
> cast('2-2-2003' as date);
>  ?column?
> ----------
>  28 days
> (1 row)
>
> but if all you say is 1 month from now how many days you month you mean
> will mean a different number of days. Oh one more good one is....
>
> select cast('1 year' as interval) - cast('365 days' as interval);
>      ?column?
> ------------------
>  1 year -365 days
> (1 row)
>
>     It would seam that a year is 12 months but not 365 days which
> while this is true (due to leap years) most people would never think like
> that. Its seams that postgres will not tell you how many days there are in
> a year but this seams even more stupid
>
> select cast('1 month' as interval)/2 * 2;
>  ?column?
> ----------
>  360 days
> (1 row)
>
> oh and just when you thought somthing was really straght forward you
> get...
>
> select cast('1 year' as interval)/24 * 24;
>  ?column?
> ----------
>  360 days
> (1 row)
>
>     This reminds me of a calculator that comes with MS Windows....
>     How ever the implementation in postgres is the best I've sean so
> long as you don't do anything stupid!
>
> Peter Childs

I already know all of these things (look at thread "Formatting
intervals" dated on 2003-03-17). I was just thinking about intervals
idea. Keeping time inside interval is good. Keeping months inside
interval also looks good, but keeping both of them doesn't make sense.
It is impossible to use these fields together without referring them to
some real date.

Tomasz Myrta

Re: Does anyone use TO_CHAR(INTERVAL)?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Tomasz, Peter,

> I already know all of these things (look at thread "Formatting
> intervals" dated on 2003-03-17). I was just thinking about intervals
> idea. Keeping time inside interval is good. Keeping months inside
> interval also looks good, but keeping both of them doesn't make sense.
> It is impossible to use these fields together without referring them to
> some real date.

However illogical the current bahavior may seem, it *is* the SQL92/99
specification, so we're keeping it.

I personally use INTERVAL heavily for calendaring applications.  I got into a
discussion with Thomas Lockhart last year about how INTERVAL treats daylight
savings time -- which is seriously problematic from a calendar designer's
perspective -- and was turned down by the core team wanting to change the
behavior.

Regrettably, even though the ANSI committee made a few mistakes with
DATE/TIME, they *are* the ANSI committee and PostgreSQL as a project is very
firmly committed to standards.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions