How to notice column changes in trigger

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
How can I detect whether a column was changed by an update command
inside a trigger?

create table test(a int, b int, c int, primary key(a))

b and c should be updated inside an update trigger if not modified by
the statement itself

1) update test set a=0 -> trigger does its work
2) update test set a=0, b=1, c=2 -> trigger does nothing
3) update test set a=0, b=b, c=c -> trigger does nothing, but content of
a and b dont change either although touched

What I'm looking for is something like
IF NOT COLUMN_TOUCHED(b) THEN ...
For MSSQL, this would be coded as  IF NOT UPDATE(b) ..

IF OLD.b=NEW.b will not work, case 3) will falsely execute the trigger code.

Any hints?

Andreas

Re: How to notice column changes in trigger

From
Christoph Haller

> How can I detect whether a column was changed by an update command
> inside a trigger?
>
> create table test(a int, b int, c int, primary key(a))
>
> b and c should be updated inside an update trigger if not modified by
> the statement itself
>
> 1) update test set a=0 -> trigger does its work
> 2) update test set a=0, b=1, c=2 -> trigger does nothing
> 3) update test set a=0, b=b, c=c -> trigger does nothing, but content
of
> a and b dont change either although touched
>
> What I'm looking for is something like
> IF NOT COLUMN_TOUCHED(b) THEN ...
> For MSSQL, this would be coded as  IF NOT UPDATE(b) ..
>
> IF OLD.b=NEW.b will not work, case 3) will falsely execute the trigger
code.

Sorry, but I don't get it.
Does
> b and c should be updated inside an update trigger if not modified by
> the statement itself
mean b=b not modified, b=1 modified even if b was 1 before ?

So you want the trigger executed only if assignments to b and/or c do
not appear within the update command. Right?

Regards, Christoph

Date:
Christoph Haller wrote:

>So you want the trigger executed only if assignments to b and/or c do
>not appear within the update command. Right?
>
>Regards, Christoph

Right, that's what I want.

Re: How to notice column changes in trigger

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Andreas,

> 1) update test set a=0 -> trigger does its work
> 2) update test set a=0, b=1, c=2 -> trigger does nothing
> 3) update test set a=0, b=b, c=c -> trigger does nothing, but content of
> a and b dont change either although touched

> IF OLD.b=NEW.b will not work, case 3) will falsely execute the trigger
> code.

I still don't get why you'd want to do this.   Can you provide are real-world
example where there is a difference between setting B=B and not updating B?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Andreas,
>

>>1) update test set a=0 -> trigger does its work
>>2) update test set a=0, b=1, c=2 -> trigger does nothing
>>3) update test set a=0, b=b, c=c -> trigger does nothing, but content of
>>a and b dont change either although touched
>>

>>IF OLD.b=NEW.b will not work, case 3) will falsely execute the trigger
>>code.
>>

>I still don't get why you'd want to do this.   Can you provide are real-world
>example where there is a difference between setting B=B and not updating B?

I do.
It's about tracking changing user and timestamp. Normally, all inserts
and updates won't touch the b and c columns, and they are handled using
triggers and/or default values.But sometimes, I'd like to update some
columns (other than b or c) WITHOUT having changed b or c. This could
happen for some import tasks, for example. In this case, the
user/timestamp from the exporting database should be replicated, not
altered. In other cases, some maintenance procedure should calculate a
column different from b and c, which would lead to timestamp set to lets
say midnight, and the user to "serviceProcess" which would destroy the
original data. In this case, I'd set b and c to the original data.
That's the way I can handle this with MSSQL.

Re: How to notice column changes in trigger

From
Christoph Haller

> >So you want the trigger executed only if assignments to b and/or c do

> >not appear within the update command. Right?
> >

> Right, that's what I want.

I'm afraid I have no idea how to accomplish that.

Regards, Christoph

Re: How to notice column changes in trigger

From
Aspire Something
Date:
Hello Christoph Haller ,

> > >So you want the trigger executed only if assignments to b and/or c do

Do sime thing like this  use if /then /esle s block for the problem

In the first if blick check that b and c is null by the declaration of
IS NULL after that you run the update command as required

The program code will show as

create function
CREATE FUNCTION BLAH_FUNCTION() RETURNS "trigger"   AS '
usual blah blah of declre and all ,

IF NEW.b IS NULL and NEW.C IS NULL THEN
ROCK BABY
ELSE
Do OTHERWISE
END IF;
more blah blah plpgsql';

CREATE TRIGGER BLAH   BEFORE  UPDATE ON BLAH_TABLE   FOR EACH ROW   EXECUTE PROCEDURE BLAH_FUNCTION

Please revert back if this helps .

Regards
V Kashyap

Date:
Aspire Something wrote:
> Hello Christoph Haller ,

> Do sime thing like this  use if /then /esle s block for the problem
>
> In the first if blick check that b and c is null by the declaration of
> IS NULL after that you run the update command as required
>
> The program code will show as
>
> create function
> CREATE FUNCTION BLAH_FUNCTION() RETURNS "trigger"
>     AS '
> usual blah blah of declre and all ,
>

> IF NEW.b IS NULL and NEW.C IS NULL THEN
> ROCK BABY
> ELSE
> Do OTHERWISE
> END IF;
> more blah blah plpgsql';

Sorry,
this won't work at all.
The NEW will contain the new row contents, and that may well be non-null
for columns not mentioned in the update query. This kind of code will
perform well on inserts, but not on updates of well-populated rows.
Core SQL or PL/PGSQL statements won't do the job.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: How to notice column changes in trigger

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> > 1) update test set a=0 -> trigger does its work
> > 2) update test set a=0, b=1, c=2 -> trigger does nothing
> > 3) update test set a=0, b=b, c=c -> trigger does nothing, but content of
> > a and b dont change either although touched
>
> > IF OLD.b=NEW.b will not work, case 3) will falsely execute the trigger
> > code.
>
> I still don't get why you'd want to do this.   Can you provide are real-world
> example where there is a difference between setting B=B and not updating B?

Setting b=b and not updating it is indeed identical ... at least after
the targetlist completion in PostgreSQL. But it is different from
b=<b's-old-value>, and the fact that we cannot distinguish between these
two (inside the trigger) prevents us from skipping foreign key checks if
your fk-values haven't been touched.

Jan