Cancelling Queries

From
Mark Mitchell
Date:
I have a Perl program that executes PostgreSQL queries through DBI.
Is there any way to cancel a query once its started. If I could at least
somehow get the PID of the child process postmaster starts I could kill
that.

This may be a better question for the Perl programming list but I
thought I'd ask you guys too

Mark Mitchell

Re: Cancelling Queries

From
jasiek@klaster.net
Date:
On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 06:25:29PM -0500, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> I have a Perl program that executes PostgreSQL queries through DBI.
> Is there any way to cancel a query once its started. If I could at least
> somehow get the PID of the child process postmaster starts I could kill
> that.
>
> This may be a better question for the Perl programming list but I
> thought I'd ask you guys too
>
> Mark Mitchell
Use transactions.
Just before query finish you can confirm query (commit) or cancel it
(rollback)

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta

Re: Cancelling Queries

From
Mark Mitchell
Date:
These are select queries that may have been keyed incorrectly that I need to cancel. So a transaction won't help in
href="mailto:jasiek@klaster.net">jasiek@klaster.net</a>wrote:<br /><blockquote cite="mid20030307052705.GA5440@serwer"
type="cite"><prewrap="">On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 06:25:29PM -0500, Mark Mitchell wrote: </pre><blockquote
type="cite"><prewrap="">I have a Perl program that executes PostgreSQL queries through DBI.

Is there any way to cancel a query once its started. If I could at least
somehow get the PID of the child process postmaster starts I could kill
that.

This may be a better question for the Perl programming list but I
thought I'd ask you guys too

Just before query finish you can confirm query (commit) or cancel it
(rollback)

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta

TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:majordomo@postgresql.org">majordomo@postgresql.org</a>
Mark Mitchell
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.lapcrew.com">www.lapcrew.com</a>
Registered Linux User # 299662
Mandrake 8.0 , RedHat 8.0
</pre><br />

Re: Cancelling Queries

Date:
Libpq has PQrequestCancel() which does cancels, but I don't see it in
DBD.  Maybe someone can make a patch.  ;-)

jasiek@klaster.net wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 06:25:29PM -0500, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> > I have a Perl program that executes PostgreSQL queries through DBI.
> > Is there any way to cancel a query once its started. If I could at least
> > somehow get the PID of the child process postmaster starts I could kill
> > that.
> >
> > This may be a better question for the Perl programming list but I
> > thought I'd ask you guys too
> >
> > Mark Mitchell
> Use transactions.
> Just before query finish you can confirm query (commit) or cancel it
> (rollback)
>
> Regards,
> Tomasz Myrta

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Cancelling Queries

From
jasiek@klaster.net
Date:
On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 08:31:56AM -0600, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> These are select queries that may have been keyed incorrectly that I
> need to cancel. So a transaction won't help in this case.
What about setting maximum query execution time in postgresql
configuration? There are some options helpful for deadlock cases.

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta