two dates

From
mixo
Date:
I have a table which has serveral time stamps include when an entry was
'created'.
Each entry is identified by a unique 'id'. How can I best find entries
created
between two dates without going through each day between the two dates?

Currently, going through each day to get the results takes about 23
minutes for 7 days
as I have two other criteria for search: roughly I am doing about
16*17*n queries,
where n=days between two dates (for 7 days, 16*17*7 = which a number
that is
too big for my liking).

Re: two dates

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Tuesday 25 Feb 2003 6:55 am, mixo wrote:
> I have a table which has serveral time stamps include when an entry was
> 'created'.
> Each entry is identified by a unique 'id'. How can I best find entries
> created
> between two dates without going through each day between the two dates?
>
> Currently, going through each day to get the results takes about 23
> minutes for 7 days
> as I have two other criteria for search: roughly I am doing about
> 16*17*n queries,
> where n=days between two dates (for 7 days, 16*17*7 = which a number
> that is
> too big for my liking).

What is wrong with SELECT id FROM foo WHERE created_date>='2003-01-01' AND
created_date<='2003-01-07' or similar? I don't see why you need multiple
queries, perhaps I have misunderstood

--  Richard Huxton

Re: two dates

From
Oliver Elphick
Date:
On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 12:09, Richard Huxton wrote:
> What is wrong with SELECT id FROM foo WHERE created_date>='2003-01-01' AND
> created_date<='2003-01-07' or similar? I don't see why you need multiple
> queries, perhaps I have misunderstood

The BETWEEN operator is provided for this precise requirement:
SELECT id FROM foo WHERE created_date BETWEEN '2003-01-01' AND '2003-01-07';

========================================   "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one     another, even as I
haveloved you."                                       John 13:34

Re: two dates

From
"D.Sanchez"
Date:
If you just want to select all entries created between two given dates, the
following query should do it:

SELECT column1, column2, ....
FROM table
WHERE creation_date between to_date('date1','date_format') and
to_date('date2','date_format')
order by creation_date;

This will find all the entries with a creation_date between date1 and date2
and it return the rows sorted by the creation date. You can add additional
selection critirias to the WHERE clause if needed.

David