index on to_char(created, 'YYYY') doesn't work

From
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Date:

Re: index on to_char(created, 'YYYY') doesn't work

From
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Date:

Re: index on to_char(created, 'YYYY') doesn't work

From
Achilleus Mantzios
Date:
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer
IT dept
Dynacom Tankers Mngmt
Nikis 4, Glyfada
Athens 16610
Greece
tel:    +30-10-8981112
fax:    +30-10-8981877
email:  achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com       mantzios@softlab.ece.ntua.gr

Date:

Date:
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:

> On Wednesday 15 January 2003 16:12, you wrote:

> > > I tried the following function:
> > > - -----------------------------------------------------------------
> > > create function drus (timestamp) returns varchar AS'
> > >     DECLARE
> > >         str_created VARCHAR;
> > >         created ALIAS FOR $1;
> > >     BEGIN
> > >         str_created:= to_char(created, ''YYYY'');
> > >         RETURN str_created;
> > >     END;
> > > ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
> >
> > add
> > WITH (iscachable)
>
> Thank you, not _that_ works:-)
> But now this doesn't work:
> create index session_u_idx on session (drus(created), username);

Functinal indexes are single column indexes.

Why dont you change your function to:

create function drus (timestamp,varchar) returns varchar A

and return the concatenation of to_char(created, ''YYYY'')||$2

and then create the index as usual (passing the date and the username
as params to your function)????

Date:

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 18:55, Achilleus Mantzios wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:

> > > add
> > > WITH (iscachable)
> >
> > Thank you, not _that_ works:-)
> > But now this doesn't work:
> > create index session_u_idx on session (drus(created), username);
>
> Functinal indexes are single column indexes.
>
> Why dont you change your function to:
>
> create function drus (timestamp,varchar) returns varchar A
>
> and return the concatenation of to_char(created, ''YYYY'')||$2
>
> and then create the index as usual (passing the date and the username
> as params to your function)????

OK, thank you.
Let me explain what I want to do:
I have the following schema for gathering statistics from the web:

CREATE TABLE session (session_id varchar(256) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,created timestamp DEFAULT 'now' NOT
NULL,last_accessedtimestamp NOT NULL,destroyed timestamp NOT NULL,username varchar -- Allow sessions from not logged in
users
);

create or replace function drus (timestamp) returns varchar AS'   DECLARE       str_created VARCHAR;       created
ALIASFOR $1;   BEGIN       str_created:= to_char(created, ''YYYY'');       RETURN str_created;   END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' WITH (iscachable);

create index session_u_idx on session (drus(created)) where username is null;

Now I want to get statistics for number of hits pr. week where users are not
lnogged in(username IS NULL) for the year 2002:

select to_char(created, 'IW') as week, count(session_id) from session WHERE
username IS NULL and drus(created) = '2002' group by week ORDER BY week;week | count
- ------+-------01   |  632118   |    7419   | 1215320   | 1712521   | 2215722   | 2531623   | 2426524   | 2623425   |
2858326  | 2915627   | 2833528   | 2358729   | 23203

This table is quite large(900 000 rows) and the query takes several minutes to
run, which makes the browser timeout.
Do I have a design-issue here, should I rather batch-generate the stats in its
own table so I don't have to process all the data(900 000 rows) each time.

Is there any way to optimize/rewrite this query? Is the use of to_char on the
timestamp wrong, should I use another comparation method for getting the year
2002?

- --

Date:
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:

> On Wednesday 15 January 2003 18:55, Achilleus Mantzios wrote:

> > > Thank you, not _that_ works:-)
> > > But now this doesn't work:
> > > create index session_u_idx on session (drus(created), username);
> >
> > Functinal indexes are single column indexes.
> >
> > Why dont you change your function to:
> >
> > create function drus (timestamp,varchar) returns varchar A
> >
> > and return the concatenation of to_char(created, ''YYYY'')||$2
> >
> > and then create the index as usual (passing the date and the username
> > as params to your function)????
>
> OK, thank you.
> Let me explain what I want to do:

You didnt try it!!

Change your to_char(created, ''YYYY'')||$2 to
to_char(created, ''YYYY'')||(coalesce($2,'''')
(provided there is no user named mister '' :)

then perform your query like:

select to_char(created, 'IW') as week, count(session_id) from session
WHERE drus(created,username) = '2002' group by week ORDER BY
week;

do a explain analyze to see index and performance issues.

Date:
Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak@officenet.no> writes:
> create index session_u_idx on session (drus(created)) where username is null;

> select to_char(created, 'IW') as week, count(session_id) from session WHERE
> username IS NULL and drus(created) = '2002' group by week ORDER BY week;

> This table is quite large(900 000 rows) and the query takes several
> minutes to run, which makes the browser timeout.

Is the query actually using the index?  It looks like it should, but
there's no substitute for making sure.  May we see the output of
EXPLAIN ANALYZE for this query?  How does it change if you force
indexscan or force seqscan (by setting enable_seqscan or
enable_indexscan to 0 respectively)?

> Is the use of to_char on the timestamp wrong

I'd be inclined to write cast(extract(year from created) as int) so that
the index key is int rather than varchar --- but this is probably just a
marginal efficiency hack.  The real problem is very likely that the
query selects such a large fraction of the table rows that the index
isn't buying you anything.
        regards, tom lane

Re: index on to_char(created, 'YYYY') doesn't work

From
Steve Crawford
Date:
<disclaimer>I don't have "real-life" experience with partial
indexes</disclaimer> but...

You probably won't see an increase in speed unless the index use can get you
down to a really small fraction of your total row count (I don't know just
how small but remember being surprised at the number but realizing, on
reflection, that it made sense. It was something like 10% or less).

One thing you could try is to use a partial index (one containing only the
rows in which you are interested).

Here's a really dumb example:

create index foo on session (username) where username is null and
to_char(created, 'YYYY') = '2002';

Why dumb? Because the index will only contain nulls. You could probably
choose a more intelligent index based on the other queries you do. Still,
this index could increase your query speed considerably (as long as your
where in creating the index matches the where in your query - if you change
your query to 2003 you will be back to a sequential scan).

BTW, I tried to create an index on the to_char function and had no luck -
seems like it should work but it doesn't on 7.2.3 or 7.3.1.

Cheers,
Steve

Date:

Re: index on to_char(created, 'YYYY') doesn't work

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Steve,

> BTW, I tried to create an index on the to_char function and had no
> luck -
> seems like it should work but it doesn't on 7.2.3 or 7.3.1.

That's because functional indexes can't take any arguments other than
column names.   Therefore you'd need to:

CREATE FUNCTION to_year (timestamp) RETURNS varchar AS
'SELECT to_char($1, ''YYYY'');'
LANGUAGE 'sql' WITH (ISCACHABLE, ISSTRICT)
(above is 7.2.3 syntax)

Then use the to_year function in place of to_char for creating your

-Josh Berkus