primary + foreign key

From
Huub
Date:
Hi,

I want to create a table where the 2 columns are both primary as well as
foreign key. What is the correct syntax for that?

Thanks

Huub

Re: primary + foreign key

From
Tomasz Myrta
Huub wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to create a table where the 2 columns are both primary as well as
> foreign key. What is the correct syntax for that?
>
> Thanks
>
> Huub

create table detail
(  id1 integer,  id2 integer,  CONSTRAINT c1 PRIMARY KEY(id1,id2),  CONSTRAINT c2 FOREIGN KEY(id1,id2) REFERENCES
master
);

Do you really need such detail table? You can just add columns to master
table.

Tomasz Myrta

Re: primary + foreign key

From
Huub
Date:
Hi,

I suppose 'detail' is the table name? And what is master?

Thanks

Huub
> create table detail
> (
>    id1 integer,
>    id2 integer,
>    CONSTRAINT c1 PRIMARY KEY(id1,id2),
>    CONSTRAINT c2 FOREIGN KEY(id1,id2) REFERENCES master
> );
>
> Do you really need such detail table? You can just add columns to master
> table.
>
> Tomasz Myrta

Re: primary + foreign key

From
Tomasz Myrta
Huub wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I suppose 'detail' is the table name? And what is master?
>
> Thanks
>
> Huub

You should know that.
Detail is a table you want to create and master is a table where foreign
key points to.

Tomasz Myrta

Re: primary + foreign key

From
Huub
Date:
Thanks for pointing out. I'm not that experienced in SQL yet; so detail
could as well be some extra instruction and I've never seen 'references
master' before. But I think I'll manage now. Thanks

Tomasz Myrta wrote:
> Huub wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I suppose 'detail' is the table name? And what is master?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Huub
>

> You should know that.
> Detail is a table you want to create and master is a table where foreign
> key points to.
>
> Tomasz Myrta

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: primary + foreign key

From
Roberto Mello
Date:
On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 10:54:21AM +0100, Huub wrote:
> Thanks for pointing out. I'm not that experienced in SQL yet; so detail
> could as well be some extra instruction and I've never seen 'references
> master' before. But I think I'll manage now. Thanks

Read "An Introduction to Database Systems" by C.J. Date.

-Roberto

--
+----|        Roberto Mello   -    http://www.brasileiro.net/  |------+
+       Computer Science Graduate Student, Utah State University      +

Re: primary + foreign key

From
Bret Hughes
Date:
On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 10:27, Roberto Mello wrote:

> Read "An Introduction to Database Systems" by C.J. Date.

Boy that brings back memories.  I think I will dig it out of a box since
I am doing database coding again after a long hiatus.  Seems like I had
a couple of Date books on my shelf at on time.

After lurking several pgsql lists for a while now I see why the db2 dbas
used to get so bent out of shape with boneheaded queries.  Especially
since each project got billed for MVS CPU time :)

Bret