convert NULL into a value

From
"Jonathan Man"
Date:
Hi,

There is a function on the Oracle. That is NVL(field, 0) to convert null into a value (e.g.  ZERO).

Can I use this function on the PostgreSQL??

Thank you for your help!!

Regards,

JONATHAN MAN

Re: convert NULL into a value

From
Ludwig Lim
Date:
--- Jonathan Man <jman@equityunderwriters.com.hk>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is a function on the Oracle. That is
> NVL(field, 0) to convert null into a value (e.g.
> ZERO).
>
> Can I use this function on the PostgreSQL??

-- The equivalent function is PostgreSQL is
SELECT COALESCE(field,0)

regards,

ludwig.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Re: convert NULL into a value

Date:
No, the SQL standard command is COALESCE.

Jonathan Man wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is a function on the Oracle. That is NVL(field, 0) to convert null into a value (e.g.  ZERO).
>
> Can I use this function on the PostgreSQL??
>

> Thank you for your help!!
>
> Regards,
>
> JONATHAN MAN

Pennsylvania19073