Transitive Closure

From
suhas@hotmail.com (Suhas Joshi)
Date:
Question from a Postgresql newbie.
Does Postgresql have transitive closure feature in psql? Where can I
find some documentation and examples on it?
Thanks in advance

Re: Transitive Closure

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 21:50:57 -0700, Suhas Joshi <suhas@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Question from a Postgresql newbie.
> Does Postgresql have transitive closure feature in psql? Where can I
> find some documentation and examples on it?
> Thanks in advance

It doesn't.

Re: Transitive Closure

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 21:50:57 -0700,
>   Suhas Joshi <suhas@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Question from a Postgresql newbie.
> > Does Postgresql have transitive closure feature in psql? Where can I
> > find some documentation and examples on it?
> > Thanks in advance
>
> It doesn't.

What exactly do you mean ?

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Transitive Closure

From
"Dan Langille"
Date:
On 6 Aug 2002 at 18:28, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 21:50:57 -0700,
> >   Suhas Joshi <suhas@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > Question from a Postgresql newbie.
> > > Does Postgresql have transitive closure feature in psql? Where can I
> > > find some documentation and examples on it?
> > > Thanks in advance
> >
> > It doesn't.
>
> What exactly do you mean ?

I think your first question was answered:  "Does Postgresql have
transitive closure feature in psql? "
--
Dan Langille
I'm looking for a computer job:

Re: Transitive Closure

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Dan Langille wrote:

> On 6 Aug 2002 at 18:28, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> > > It doesn't.
> >
> > What exactly do you mean ?
>

> I think your first question was answered:  "Does Postgresql have
> transitive closure feature in psql? "

in psql or pgsql ? I know 'transitive closure' for graph-like structure

Date:
On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 20:34:11 +0300, Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> wrote:

> in psql or pgsql ? I know 'transitive closure' for graph-like structure

Postgres doesn't provide a general way to get the transitive closure for a
relation.

There is a comment in the todo file that appears to cover this, but it isn't
something that is likely to be done soon.

Depending on what the person wanted to do, there may be a way to solve his
problem. However the person asking the question didn't provide that
information, so it is hard to give him any specific advice.