FATAL 1

From
"Ian Cass"
Date:
Couldn't find any mention of this anywhere. Anyone any idea what it means? A
db stop/start seems to have cured it.

postgres@judas:~$ psql master
psql: FATAL 1:  fixrdesc: no pg_class entry for pg_class

postgres@judas:~$ psql -V
psql (PostgreSQL) 7.2.1
contains support for: readline, history, multibyte
Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2001, PostgreSQL Global Development Group
Portions Copyright (c) 1996, Regents of the University of California
Read the file COPYRIGHT or use the command \copyright to see the
usage and distribution terms.

postgres@judas:~$ uname -a
Linux judas 2.4.18 #1 Fri May 3 11:45:59 UTC 2002 i686 unknown

--
Ian Cass

[NOVICE] SET CONSTRAINTS question...

From
"Michael Paesold"
Date:
Hi,

Right after installting postgres 7.2.1 (from release source) and reading
some chapters of Bruce Momjian's great book I started to play around with a
test database. Now I have a question concerning deferred constraint
checking.
I am new to transactional SQL, so I don't really know, if this should work:

-- create query
BEGIN;

CREATE TABLE friend (name VARCHAR(40) PRIMARY KEY,country CHAR(2) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'AT'
);

CREATE SEQUENCE conn_id_seq;
CREATE TABLE conn (id INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval('conn_id_seq'),name VARCHAR(40),CONSTRAINT conn_friend_fkey
FOREIGNKEY(name)  REFERENCES friend(name)  ON UPDATE CASCADE  ON DELETE RESTRICT  DEFERRABLE INITIALLY
IMMEDIATE,CONSTRAINTconn_pkey PRIMARY KEY(id)

);
CREATE INDEX conn_name_idx ON conn (name);

INSERT INTO friend VALUES ('Michael Paesold', 'AT');
INSERT INTO conn (name) VALUES ('Michael Paesold');

COMMIT;

-- test
BEGIN;
SET CONSTRAINTS conn_friend_fkey DEFERRED;
DELETE FROM friend WHERE name='Michael Paesold';
INSERT INTO friend VALUES ('Michael Paesold', 'DE');
COMMIT;

I get an error just after the DELETE query. Perhaps I don't understand the
concept of deferred constraint checking. I know that the above query doesn't
make much sense, but I wanted to try these features.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

Re: [NOVICE] SET CONSTRAINTS question...

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
> CREATE SEQUENCE conn_id_seq;
> CREATE TABLE conn (
>  id INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval('conn_id_seq'),
>  name VARCHAR(40),
>  CONSTRAINT conn_friend_fkey FOREIGN KEY(name)
>    REFERENCES friend(name)
>    ON UPDATE CASCADE
>    ON DELETE RESTRICT

I believe we interpreted restrict as being such that you
can't defer it.  No action specification for delete
probably would do what you wanted. (We may also be wrong
about restrict, but the above would be a workaround in any case)

Re: FATAL 1

Date:
It means something is really wacked out about your installation.  What
does the server log show?

Ian Cass wrote:
> Couldn't find any mention of this anywhere. Anyone any idea what it means? A
> db stop/start seems to have cured it.
>
> postgres@judas:~$ psql master
> psql: FATAL 1:  fixrdesc: no pg_class entry for pg_class
>
> postgres@judas:~$ psql -V
> psql (PostgreSQL) 7.2.1
> contains support for: readline, history, multibyte
> Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2001, PostgreSQL Global Development Group
> Portions Copyright (c) 1996, Regents of the University of California
> Read the file COPYRIGHT or use the command \copyright to see the
> usage and distribution terms.
>
> postgres@judas:~$ uname -a
> Linux judas 2.4.18 #1 Fri May 3 11:45:59 UTC 2002 i686 unknown
>
> --
> Ian Cass

Pennsylvania19026

Re: FATAL 1

From
"Ian Cass"
Date:
From /var/log/syslog
Jul 22 13:27:28 judas postgres[31058]: [10] DEBUG:  connection:
host=192.168.6.4 user=postgres database=master
Jul 22 14:08:30 judas postgres[31183]: [10] DEBUG:  connection:
host=192.168.6.4 user=postgres database=master
Jul 22 14:08:30 judas postgres[31183]: [11] FATAL 1:  fixrdesc: no pg_class
entry for pg_class
(repeat until I restart pg)

nothing in /var/log/postgres.log

--