BLOB Feature Limits

From
"Bullock, Dempsey"
Date:
I'm new to PGSQL 7.2...

I plan to create an application that stores any kind of document directly
within the database.  Some of the files could be very large (1MB or larger).
Where are the limitations documented?

Re: BLOB Feature Limits

From
Ian Morgan
Date:
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Bullock, Dempsey wrote:

> I'm new to PGSQL 7.2...
>
> I plan to create an application that stores any kind of document directly
> within the database.  Some of the files could be very large (1MB or larger).
> Where are the limitations documented?

/usr/doc/postgresql-7.2.1/html/largeobjects.html

Section 2.2 says: The large object implementation breaks large objects up
into "chunks" and stores the chunks in tuples in the database. A B-tree
index guarantees fast searches for the correct chunk number when doing
random access reads and writes.

I would presume this to meant that a large object has no finite size
limitation apart from the database itself exceeding disk space limits.

(But I could be wrong, I'm not a PostgreSQL developer.)

BTW: This should probably have been asked on the pgsql-novice list.

Regards,
Ian Morgan
--
Webcon,Inc.imorgan@webcon.net         PGP: #2DA40D07          www.webcon.net   *  Customized Linux network solutions