test the existence of a database

From
"D'laila Pereira"
Date:
After a database is created in postgresql using the createdb command,
and populate it with some taqbles, how do we test the existence of the
database and the tables within it?

thanks
d'laila

Re: test the existence of a database

From
"Steve Boyle \(Roselink\)"
Date:
D'laila,

you could write a function in plpgsql that queried the postgres catalogues
for the object that you were interested in an returned true of false if the
object existed.

For an example see:

http://www.brasileiro.net/postgres/cookbook/view-one-recipe.adp?recipe_id=14
23

hih

steve boyle
> After a database is created in postgresql using the createdb command,
> and populate it with some taqbles, how do we test the existence of the
> database and the tables within it?
>
> thanks
> d'laila

Re: test the existence of a database

From
Erle Czar Mantos
Date:
Hello,
   I do not see wat u r trying to mean? Do you want to test the
existence of a database from your code or from the standard shell?   If you want to test from your code, you can try
connectingto

that database and if your connection is null, that means there
might be no database present.
                                                   Erle

> After a database is created in postgresql using the createdb command,
> and populate it with some taqbles, how do we test the existence of the
> database and the tables within it?
>
> thanks
> d'laila

Re: test the existence of a database

From
Jerome Alet
Date:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Erle Czar Mantos wrote:

>     I do not see wat u r trying to mean? Do you want to test the
> existence of a database from your code or from the standard shell?
>     If you want to test from your code, you can try connecting to
> that database and if your connection is null, that means there
> might be no database present.

alternatively, you can connect to template1 dans do a :
SELECT * FROM pg_database;

hth.

Jerome Alet - alet@unice.fr - http://cortex.unice.fr/~jerome
Fac de Medecine de Nice        http://wwwmed.unice.fr
Tel: (+33) 4 93 37 76 30     Fax: (+33) 4 93 53 15 15
28 Avenue de Valombrose - 06107 NICE Cedex 2 - FRANCE