Possible to create a *really* virtual table ?

From
Denis Bucher
Date:
Hello !

Is it possible to create a virtual table, NOT a view ?

For example :

SELECT *
FROM
(VALUES ('orange', 'orange'), ('apple', 'red'),
('banana', 'yellow'))
AS Fruits_And_Colors(fruit, color);

I.e. to do a request on a non-real table ?

I want to have the following virtual table :

TABLE b
id   |   b
------------
1    |   't'
2    |   'f'

Is it possible in PostgreSQL ?

Thanks a lot for any help

Denis Bucher

Re: Possible to create a *really* virtual table ?

From
Denis Bucher
Date:
At 15:02 05.11.01 +0100, you wrote:

Hello !

>Is it possible to create a virtual table, NOT a view ?
>
>For example :
>SELECT *
>FROM
>(VALUES ('orange', 'orange'), ('apple', 'red'),
>('banana', 'yellow'))
>AS Fruits_And_Colors(fruit, color);
>I.e. to do a request on a non-real table ?
>I want to have the following virtual table :
>TABLE b
>id   |   b
>1    |   't'
>2    |   'f'
>
>Is it possible in PostgreSQL ?

Ok I found the answer, it is possible !

SELECT text 'a' AS "Text" UNION SELECT 'b';

Denis