From
"Joseph Syjuco"
Date:
im new in postgresql (actually came from SQL Server) and i was trying a
script like this

insert into table1(field1,field2) values (select field1, field2 from table
2);

i dont know if this is possible (inserting a set of entries via resultset
from a select stmt in one command).  If anyone has any answers, or
workarounds pls do email me

Thanks

Re:

From
"Joe Conway"
Date:
> im new in postgresql (actually came from SQL Server) and i was trying a
> script like this
>
> insert into table1(field1,field2) values (select field1, field2 from table
> 2);
>
> i dont know if this is possible (inserting a set of entries via resultset
> from a select stmt in one command).  If anyone has any answers, or
> workarounds pls do email me

Well, that syntax doesn't work on SQL Server either.

I think what you want is:   insert into table1(field1,field2) select field1, field2 from table2;

HTH,

-- Joe

Re:

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Joseph Syjuco writes:

> im new in postgresql (actually came from SQL Server) and i was trying a
> script like this
>
> insert into table1(field1,field2) values (select field1, field2 from table
> 2);

The correct syntax is:

INSERT INTO table1 (field1, field2) SELECT field1, field2 FROM table2;

Re:

From
Michael Davis
Try:
Create table table1(field1,field2) as (select field1, field2 from table2);

im new in postgresql (actually came from SQL Server) and i was trying a
script like this

insert into table1(field1,field2) values (select field1, field2 from table
2);

i dont know if this is possible (inserting a set of entries via resultset
from a select stmt in one command).  If anyone has any answers, or
workarounds pls do email me

Thanks

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Re:

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Joseph Syjuco wrote:

> im new in postgresql (actually came from SQL Server) and i was trying a
> script like this
>
> insert into table1(field1,field2) values (select field1, field2 from table
> 2);
>
> i dont know if this is possible (inserting a set of entries via resultset
> from a select stmt in one command).  If anyone has any answers, or
> workarounds pls do email me

You can, but you don't need to use values.

insert into table1(field1, field2) select field1, field2 from table2;
should do what you want.

Re: INSERT Syntax

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Joseph,

> insert into table1(field1,field2) values (select field1, field2 from
> table
> 2);

Actually, that won't work in SQL Server either.  The correct syntax (for
both databases) is:

INSERT INTO table1 ( field1, field2 )
SELECT field1, field2 FROM table2;

The "VALUES" syntax is only appropriate if you are inserting a set of
constants with no SELECT statement involved.

-Josh Berkus

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com