count(*)

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
Is it illegal to make a select query with a count(*) in the list of
expressions to select?

Ex:

select car,tit,count(*) from auto

Saludos.... :-)

--
Cualquiera administra un NT.
Ese es el problema, que cualquiera administre.

Re: count(*)

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
On Mié 04 Jul 2001 01:18, Alex Pilosov wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, [iso-8859-1] Martín Marqués wrote:
> > Is it illegal to make a select query with a count(*) in the list of
> > expressions to select?
> >
> > Ex:
> >
> > select car,tit,count(*) from auto
>
> You probably mean:
> select car, tit, (select count(*) from auto) from auto

Well, not the best example.....
How about if I have a WHERE clause? I have to add it twice?

Saludos... :-)

--

Date:
On Mié 04 Jul 2001 01:31, Alex Pilosov wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, [iso-8859-1] Martín Marqués wrote:

> > > You probably mean:
> >
> > Well, not the best example.....
> > How about if I have a WHERE clause? I have to add it twice?
>
> Yes.

I was lmost sure I could add the count(*) in the select, but now that I see
some old scripts I have, I notic that I was wrong.
Shame on me!

Thanks!

Saludos... :-)

--
Cualquiera administra un NT.
Ese es el problema, que cualquiera administre.
Martin Marques                  |        mmarques@unl.edu.ar
Programador, Administrador      |       Centro de Telematica                      Universidad Nacional
        del Litoral

Re: count(*)

From
Alex Pilosov
Date:

Date:

Date:
>> You probably mean:
>> select car, tit, (select count(*) from auto) from auto

I think he probably wants
select car, tit, count(*) from auto group by car, tit
        regards, tom lane

Re: count(*)

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
On Mié 04 Jul 2001 02:41, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> You probably mean:
> >> select car, tit, (select count(*) from auto) from auto
>
> I think he probably wants
>
>     select car, tit, count(*) from auto group by car, tit

Does this mean I would get the same as if I didn't have the count(*), but
with the additional count(*) column at the end of each row?

Saludos... :-)