Correct syntex for implicit curor in for loops

From
Najm Hashmi
Date:
Hi All, Could someone  please tell me the Correct syntex for implicit curor in FOR loops <br />Thank  you in advance.
<pre>--
Najm Hashmi
Tel:514-271-9791
www.mondo-live.com
www.flipr.com</pre>

Re: Correct syntex for implicit curor in for loops

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Najm Hashmi wrote:
> Hi All, Could someone  please tell me the Correct syntex for implicit
> curor in FOR loops
> Thank  you in advance.
   If  you're  talking  about  the PL/pgSQL procedural language,   there is no (implicit  or  explicit)  cursor
support up  to   version 7.1.

   From  version 7.2 on PL/pgSQL will automatically use implicit   cursors in FOR loops and will support  explicit
cursors and   reference cursors that can be passed around between functions   and/or the main application.

Jan

Re: Correct syntex for implicit curor in for loops

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Jan,

>     From  version 7.2 on PL/pgSQL will automatically use implicit
>     cursors in FOR loops and will support  explicit  cursors  and
>     reference cursors that can be passed around between functions
>     and/or the main application.

ALL RIGHT!!!

Sorry, just a bit of unrestrained enthusiasm.

Is there a tentative timeline for 7.2?

-Josh Berkus

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Jan,
>
> >     From  version 7.2 on PL/pgSQL will automatically use implicit
> >     cursors in FOR loops and will support  explicit  cursors  and
> >     reference cursors that can be passed around between functions
> >     and/or the main application.
>
> ALL RIGHT!!!
>
> Sorry, just a bit of unrestrained enthusiasm.
>
> Is there a tentative timeline for 7.2?
   With  our  last  closeness  of  the real release date vs. the   first estimations, and we don't even have a
proposal up  to   now - well, maybe this or next year is the most precise I can   tell you ;-}

Jan

Re: Correct syntex for implicit curor in for loops

Date:
Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
>> Is there a tentative timeline for 7.2?

>     With  our  last  closeness  of  the real release date vs. the
>     first estimations, and we don't even have a  proposal  up  to
>     now - well, maybe this or next year is the most precise I can
>     tell you ;-}

The problem last time was we'd decided that 7.1 would have WAL,
and WAL took forever, and we weren't in a position to back off
and make a release without it.

This cycle we don't have any comparable huge must-do projects.
I'm inclined to plan a 7.2 release cycle for late summer and
release with whatever's done by then.  Anything that's not ready
will just have to wait for the next bus.
        regards, tom lane