Better Archives?

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Folks,

One thing I've noticed lately is that our archives are extremely hard to
search ... so much so that I've taken to download all of the list mail
into Netscape 4.7 to ustilize it's search functionality.

I'd like to stop doing this, and I'm sure that some newbies, directed to
the archives, give up on Postgres entirely for something with a better
online knowledge base.

Is there anything we can do about this? It seems tailor-made for a
PostgreSQL app ... I volunteer for design/SQL if someone can find a PHP
or Java coder for the interface.

-Josh

Re: Better Archives?

From
Roberto Mello
Date:
On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 08:55:34AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> I'd like to stop doing this, and I'm sure that some newbies, directed to
> the archives, give up on Postgres entirely for something with a better
> online knowledge base.
I think so too.
> Is there anything we can do about this? It seems tailor-made for a
> PostgreSQL app ... I volunteer for design/SQL if someone can find a PHP
> or Java coder for the interface.
I think this has already been done, but I don't know if it has been
linked from the man pg.org site. It's at fts.postgresql.org
-Roberto
--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+ Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU -
http://www.brasileiro.net      http://www.sdl.usu.edu - Space Dynamics Lab, Developer

Windows? HA! CD\WINDOWS. DELETE *.* AH! Thats Better <g>

Re: Better Archives?

Date:
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> One thing I've noticed lately is that our archives are extremely hard to
> search ...

Which archives are you using?

Oleg Bartunov &co provide a very nice search engine at
http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/

I frequently also use Geocrawler's archive at
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Databases/
though this does not cover all the PG lists.

I tend to use the mhonarc archives only when I want to browse by
date or by thread, not for searches.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Better Archives?

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Tom,

> I tend to use the mhonarc archives only when I want to browse by
> date or by thread, not for searches.

That explains it.  The mhonarc are te default archives from the
PostgreSQL-US site.  There is no indication on the site that there are
other archives.  Thanks!

-Josh

Re: Better Archives?

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> > One thing I've noticed lately is that our archives are extremely hard to
> > search ...
>
> Which archives are you using?
>
> Oleg Bartunov &co provide a very nice search engine at
> http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/

Indeed, there is a very few links to fts.postgresql.org. I think it
could be represented a little bit better.

> I frequently also use Geocrawler's archive at
> http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Databases/
> though this does not cover all the PG lists.
>
> I tend to use the mhonarc archives only when I want to browse by
> date or by thread, not for searches.

Tom,

we'd be glad to know what feature/design we need to add/modify to
fts.postgresql.org. I think we already have support for browsing
by date/thread.

btw, I have a statistics of search queries on fts.postgresql.org.
Anybody interested ?

Here is a top queries:307 odbc203 windows202 replication177 balancing165 jdbc 93 blob 77 xml 76 perl 70 kylix 68 php 61
re:[general] databases compared at zend.com 56 zipcode 53 odbc driver 52 cygwin 46 stored procedure 41 jdbc driver 41
gist39 pgaccess 38 setof

>             regards, tom lane

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Better Archives?

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
Okay, I *really* have to dive into the mhonarc archives and clean it out,
but I just went through and added a link to fts from the 'head' pages for
each list, so that ppl know where to go to search ...

Will try and get some time this week to do a major overhaul of the mhonarc
side of the lists, as it looks like hell right now :(

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> > > One thing I've noticed lately is that our archives are extremely hard to
> > > search ...
> >
> > Which archives are you using?
> >
> > Oleg Bartunov &co provide a very nice search engine at
> > http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/
> >

> Indeed, there is a very few links to fts.postgresql.org. I think it
> could be represented a little bit better.
>
> > I frequently also use Geocrawler's archive at
> > http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Databases/
> > though this does not cover all the PG lists.
> >
> > I tend to use the mhonarc archives only when I want to browse by
> > date or by thread, not for searches.
>
> Tom,
>
> we'd be glad to know what feature/design we need to add/modify to
> fts.postgresql.org. I think we already have support for browsing
> by date/thread.
>
> btw, I have a statistics of search queries on fts.postgresql.org.
> Anybody interested ?
>
> Here is a top queries:
>  307 odbc
>  203 windows
>  202 replication
>  177 balancing
>  165 jdbc
>   93 blob
>   77 xml
>   76 perl
>   70 kylix
>   68 php
>   61 re: [general] databases compared at zend.com
>   56 zipcode
>   53 odbc driver
>   52 cygwin
>   46 stored procedure
>   41 jdbc driver
>   41 gist
>   39 pgaccess
>   38 setof
>

> >             regards, tom lane

> > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
> >

>     Regards,
>         Oleg

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Better Archives?

From
"Josh Berkus"
HH:

> Will try and get some time this week to do a major overhaul of the
> mhonarc
> side of the lists, as it looks like hell right now :(

Why not just link to Oleg's version?   It seems to work pretty well.

-Josh

Re: Better Archives?

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Josh Berkus wrote:

> HH:
>
> > Will try and get some time this week to do a major overhaul of the
> > mhonarc
> > side of the lists, as it looks like hell right now :(
> >

> Why not just link to Oleg's version?   It seems to work pretty well.

Oleg's version is searchable, but you can't 'browse' ... the mhonarc, you
can browse ...