"Day" from 8am to 3am

From
Judd Maltin
Date:
Hi folks,

I have a special application that considers a playday to be from 8am to
3pm the next morning.  The system then does maintenance from 3am till 8am
(if necessary).

I'd like to ease application development by creating a new kind of
"playDay" to query from.  For example:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE timestamp IN date_trunc('playDay', timestamp);

Any ideas?
Where should I begin?  Or is this all just wrongheaded and should I put it
on the application level?

-judd

Re: "Day" from 8am to 3am

Date:
Judd Maltin <judd@maltin.org> writes:
> I have a special application that considers a playday to be from 8am to
> 3pm the next morning.  The system then does maintenance from 3am till 8am
> (if necessary).

8am is in the eye of the beholder.  Why not run the system in a timezone
selected such that a playday starts at local midnight?
        regards, tom lane

Re: "Day" from 8am to 3am

From
Judd Maltin
Date:
On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Judd Maltin <judd@maltin.org> writes:
> > I have a special application that considers a playday to be from 8am to
> > 3pm the next morning.  The system then does maintenance from 3am till 8am
> > (if necessary).
>
> 8am is in the eye of the beholder.  Why not run the system in a timezone
> selected such that a playday starts at local midnight?
>
>             regards, tom lane

Isn't changing the system for the application breaking a cardinal rule of
systems design?

I need the real time of day anyway.. I just want to make SELECTs easier.

-judd