pgsql and cursor

From
Najm Hashmi
Date:
Hi all, I am not sure If it is allowed to use cursor inside pgsql functions.
If it is possible, please someone could send exact synatx  how it is used. If
it is not allowed  is there a way arround it? I need to do some calculations
and then return this value as text.
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Najm

Re: pgsql and cursor

From
Jie Liang
Date:
I just know you can use implict cursor inside the plpgsql
e.g
declare
rec record;
begin
FOR rec IN select_clause LOOP    statements
END LOOP;
end;

Jie LIANG

St. Bernard Software
Internet Products Inc.

10350 Science Center Drive
Suite 100, San Diego, CA 92121
Office:(858)320-4873

jliang@ipinc.com
www.ipinc.com

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Najm Hashmi wrote:

> Hi all, I am not sure If it is allowed to use cursor inside pgsql functions.
> If it is possible, please someone could send exact synatx  how it is used. If
> it is not allowed  is there a way arround it? I need to do some calculations
> and then return this value as text.
> Thanks in advance for all your help.
> Najm

Re: pgsql and cursor

From
Ian Lance Taylor
Date:
Najm Hashmi <najm@mondo-live.com> writes:

> Hi all, I am not sure If it is allowed to use cursor inside pgsql functions.
> If it is possible, please someone could send exact synatx  how it is used. If
> it is not allowed  is there a way arround it? I need to do some calculations
> and then return this value as text.

Cursors are not supported in PL/pgSQL.  (You can, however, use FOR to
loop over a query).

For a patch to add cursor support to PL/pgSQL, see   http://www.airs.com/ian/pgsql-cursor.html

Ian