problem to count (distinct number)

From
Mikael Hedin
Date:
Hi,

I have a table with a column (int4), and I want to know how many
different numbers there are.  In an example book I saw the query

SELECT COUNT (DISTINCT data ) FROM media;

by then I get

ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "distinct"

Is the query in error or does PostgreSQL not support this?  How do I
then get the number of distinct data from my table?

TIA,

Micce

--
Mikael Hedin, MSc                   +46 (0)980 79176
Swedish Institute of Space Physics  +46 (0)8 344979 (home)

Re: problem to count (distinct number)

From
Jie Liang
Date:
hi,there,

I don't see the problem except extra space, try:
SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT data) FROM media;

Jie LIANG

Internet Products Inc.

10350 Science Center Drive
Suite 100, San Diego, CA 92121
Office:(858)320-4873

jliang@ipinc.com
www.ipinc.com

Date:
Mikael Hedin <mikael.hedin@irf.se> writes:
> SELECT COUNT (DISTINCT data ) FROM media;
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "distinct"

This is supported since 7.0.  I suspect you are running an old release.
        regards, tom lane

Re: problem to count (distinct number)

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
What version are you using?  I believe this was added in 7.0.x, but
I could be wrong about that.  A query of this sort works on my
7.1beta3 system.