Help! Storing trees in Postgres

From
"Sergei O . Naumov"
Date:
Hi!
I just subscribed myself to this list and sent a message but I am not sure
that
it reached the list. So, I am asking one more time. :-)

Is there any way to implement a query in Postgres that would be in some way
analogues to Oracle's START WITH/CONNECT BY structure?

I'd very much appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,            Sergei

Re: Help! Storing trees in Postgres

From
kovacsz
Date:
> Is there any way to implement a query in Postgres that would be in some way
> analogues to Oracle's START WITH/CONNECT BY structure?
Unfortunately, no such statements. Instead, you should write your own
functions which can operate on your own defined table. The table
represents the edges of the tree ("from" and "to"). You might have a look
on
ftp://pc10.radnoti-szeged.sulinet.hu/home/kovacsz/Linux/PostgreSQL/strukturak/

for some details about using partially ordered trees.

Regards, Zoltan