nevermind...

From
John BEPPU
Date:
Nevermind my last post.  I'm still confused, but for
different reasons.  I'm on my friends box, and I have
screen running.  In one tty, creating tables with the
serial type works, but in the other tty, it fails.
Both shells are on the same box, so it must be some
kind of environment issue (or that's my theory...)

weird.

Re: nevermind...

Date:
John BEPPU <beppu@lineo.com> writes:
> Nevermind my last post.  I'm still confused, but for
> different reasons.  I'm on my friends box, and I have
> screen running.  In one tty, creating tables with the
> serial type works, but in the other tty, it fails.

Same comment as I was about to make for your other message: "it fails"
is hardly an adequate description, especially for such a peculiar
behavior as this.  What error message do you get, *exactly*?
If there's a crash, what shows up in the postmaster log, and can you get
a backtrace from the core dump?

BTW, is it possible that your two windows are talking to two different
Postgres installations?  A sufficiently old Postgres wouldn't have
SERIAL, I think.
        regards, tom lane