pg_dump problem

From
"Graham Vickrage"
Date:
I am trying to backup a production database running on v6.5 and restore it
on our test machine running v6.5.

The largest table has about 750,000 rows, the other 5 tables are very small
approx 100 rows.

When I try to restore the database using  "psql -e database < db.out" I get
the error message
"query buffer max length of 16384 exceeded" after each row.

Would somebody please tell me how to increse this buffer (assuming this is
whats required to solve the problem) as I have looked though the
documentation and I am still struggling :-(

Cheers

Graham

Re: pg_dump problem

From
Ed Loehr
Date:
Graham Vickrage wrote:

> I am trying to backup a production database running on v6.5 and restore it
> on our test machine running v6.5.
>
> The largest table has about 750,000 rows, the other 5 tables are very small
> approx 100 rows.
>
> When I try to restore the database using  "psql -e database < db.out" I get
> the error message
> "query buffer max length of 16384 exceeded" after each row.
>
> Would somebody please tell me how to increse this buffer (assuming this is
> whats required to solve the problem) as I have looked though the
> documentation and I am still struggling :-(

You probably don't need to increase the buffer.  More likely, there is an
unterminated string constant somewhere in db.out.  Yes, that would
probably be a bug in pg_dump, but I do vaguely recall problems in 6.5*
with pg_dump.  You might search deja for your error message.

Regards,
Ed Loehr

Re: pg_dump problem

From
drfrog@smartt.com
Ed Loehr wrote:

> Graham Vickrage wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to backup a production database running on v6.5 and restore it
> > on our test machine running v6.5.
> >
> > The largest table has about 750,000 rows, the other 5 tables are very small
> > approx 100 rows.
> >
> > When I try to restore the database using  "psql -e database < db.out" I get
> > the error message
> > "query buffer max length of 16384 exceeded" after each row.
> >
> > Would somebody please tell me how to increse this buffer (assuming this is
> > whats required to solve the problem) as I have looked though the
> > documentation and I am still struggling :-(
>
> You probably don't need to increase the buffer.  More likely, there is an
> unterminated string constant somewhere in db.out.  Yes, that would
> probably be a bug in pg_dump, but I do vaguely recall problems in 6.5*
> with pg_dump.  You might search deja for your error message.
>
> Regards,
> Ed Loehr

i seem to remember something about this,

if i remeber right i broke out the data and inserted it back in using a
perl script

using a count loop