Client Logging

From
"Bryan White"
Date:
I sometimes need to be able to identify what client application is causing
messages that are appering in the backend log file.  To do this I want the
client to identify itself in the log file.

I can see 3 ways this could be implemented:
1) An identification string passed when a connection is established.  This
string would either be immediatly logged or included in the log entry for
any subsequent messages for that connection.
2) A sql statement to print to the log file.
3) A function that takes a string argument and calls elog.

#1 would be ideal but requires digging into the source code.  #2 seams wrong
headed.  I can implement #3 locally myself.

Before I go any farther, has something like this already been invented?

Re: Client Logging

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bryan White writes:

> I sometimes need to be able to identify what client application is
> causing messages that are appering in the backend log file.

I've been thinking about that too a while ago, but it depends on whether
you want to do this for auditing purposes, in which case

> 1) An identification string passed when a connection is established.  This
> string would either be immediatly logged or included in the log entry for
> any subsequent messages for that connection.

is not reliable. If you want to have this on a cooperative basis, then

> 3) A function that takes a string argument and calls elog.

is probably reasonable.