cron job INSERT appears to bail.

From
Allan Kelly
Date:
Hi, I have mirrored our Web site to a client's intranet, using tried and tested
techniques. Every day I generate a new file containing some table drops, some
table creates and about 7000 insert statements. This is ftp'd up to our ISP,
where a cronjob uses 'psql -f' to update the Website data. Great, all is well.

The intranet mirror for the client later grabs the file from the ISP and
attempts the same 'psql -f' but appears to stop after a few inserts. Running the
'psql -f' from the command line works just fine.

So.. what is it about the cron job that is limiting? I know this is probably a
systems issue, rather than a PostgreSQL issue per se, but I am completely
stumped. And this is all a little embarassing!

Linux Mandrake 7.0, Intel platform, postgres 6.5.2

--
# Allan Kelly                                http://www.plotsearch.co.uk# (+44) (0)1506 417130 x 229#
allan.kelly@buildstore.co.uk...    ..# /Software Engineer/i            . .    .    . .# ------------------------------

Re: cron job INSERT appears to bail.

Date:
Allan Kelly <allan.kelly@buildstore.co.uk> writes:
> The intranet mirror for the client later grabs the file from the ISP
> and attempts the same 'psql -f' but appears to stop after a few
> inserts.

"Appears to stop" is hardly enough of a problem description to allow
useful advice to be given.  Does the process quit, or just hang up
waiting for something?  Is there anything reported in the postmaster
log?  (You might try firing up the psql run with environment variable
PGOPTIONS = "-d2" to cause individual queries to be logged.)
        regards, tom lane