dayname() doubt

From
Annamalai G
Date:
Hello All!!

Does the SQL92 standard tell anything about the case of the return value
of the function dayname().  I mean should it return Upper or Lower case
values?   Or is it left to the implementor to decide?

Thank U for Ur info.

Regards,
anna
----

kibo Albanian counter-intelligence DES smuggle Marxist Treasury
terrorist supercomputer FBI NORAD Ft. Bragg PLO arrangements KGB

Re: [SQL] dayname() doubt

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Annamalai G wrote:

> Does the SQL92 standard tell anything about the case of the return
> value of the function dayname().  I mean should it return Upper or
> Lower case values?  Or is it left to the implementor to decide?

There is no such function in SQL. Any human language output would be
locale dependent anyway.

Re: [SQL] dayname() doubt

From
Karel Zak - Zakkr
Date:
On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Annamalai G wrote:
>
> > Does the SQL92 standard tell anything about the case of the return
> > value of the function dayname().  I mean should it return Upper or
> > Lower case values?  Or is it left to the implementor to decide?
>
> There is no such function in SQL. Any human language output would be
> locale dependent anyway.

in 7.0:

to_char(now(), 'DAY')    for MONDAY
to_char(now(), 'Day')    for Monday
to_char(now(), 'day')    for monday
... but all is in English, and as said Peter it isn't SQL92 like(but Oracle compatible)

(Any support for a locale output is plan for far far far future....)
                Karel

Re: [SQL] dayname() doubt

Date:
> in 7.0:
>
> to_char(now(), 'DAY')    for MONDAY
> to_char(now(), 'Day')    for Monday
> to_char(now(), 'day')    for monday
>
>     ... but all is in English, and as said Peter it isn't SQL92 like
>     (but Oracle compatible)
>
> (Any support for a locale output is plan for far far far future....)

The upper/lower case thing is totally cool.

Pennsylvania19026