database rights?

From
Engard Ferenc
Date:
Hi all,

When I create a table, what depends that I can do it on? And, what
permissions will be create the new table with?

Ie, I have a database, and I want to access it with two users, and
one of them can create tables, but the newly created tables should be
accessed by the other user by default. And what if I want to create
tables with two users in it?

With the 'createuser' command it asks whether I want to create a new
database for the new user, and warns 'don't forget to create a
database for almafa' if I don't create. How can I do it later, or
change the owner of a database/table?

As long as I see, the grant/revoke works only for tables... Can I set
it to rows maybe...? Or should I create views for that?

Thanks:
Circum

--
Need more drivers for linux! -- http://www.libranet.com/petition.html__  @
/  \    _   _                                           Engárd Ferenc

Re: [SQL] database rights?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Engard Ferenc wrote:

> When I create a table, what depends that I can do it on? And, what
> permissions will be create the new table with?

Only the creator will be able to do anything with the table.

> Ie, I have a database, and I want to access it with two users, and
> one of them can create tables, but the newly created tables should be
> accessed by the other user by default.

GRANT {SELECT|UPDATE|etc} TO other_user;

> And what if I want to create tables with two users in it?

If you mean two owners, you can't.

> With the 'createuser' command it asks whether I want to create a new
> database for the new user, and warns 'don't forget to create a
> database for almafa' if I don't create. How can I do it later, or
> change the owner of a database/table?

I don't know where this idea "one database per user" came from, but most
of the time you don't really want to do that. To create databases, use
CREATE DATABASE.

> As long as I see, the grant/revoke works only for tables... Can I set
> it to rows maybe...? Or should I create views for that?

Not yet and Yes.