Re: BSC

From
Vladimir Terziev
Date:
  Hi,
  I have a function written in plpgsql.
  I want that function to return a list of values (as SQL returns rows of a
table).
  How can I do this?
Vladimir

Re: [SQL] Re: BSC

From
Kovacs Zoltan Sandor
Date:
>    I want that function to return a list of values (as SQL returns rows of a
> table).
>
>    How can I do this?
I am afraid you cannot. Only one row can be returned with the type OPAQUE.
Usually I write a "SELECT functionname(arguments);" query to solve this
problem. The other solution can be that you create a table (outside
your plpgsql function), then fill it out with INSERT statements inside
the plpgsql function. I did not manage to create a table inside the
function and I could not do a few important other things (e.g. CREATE
USER, sub-SELECT), but with a little help of additional sql language
functions was enough for my problem.

You can find a quite complicated implementation of partially ordered sets
on

ftp://pc10.radnoti-szeged.sulinet.hu/home/kovacsz/Linux/PostgreSQL/strukturak/

Here you can find po.sql, this is a basic English translation of the
Hungarian reszbenrendezes.sql file. The table "po" stores only the Hasse
diagram of the partially ordered set.

If you find it worthful, I am glad to contribute it. I hope it does not
work too slow. (Table "po" should be indexed.)

Zoltan

Re: [SQL] Re: BSC

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Vladimir Terziev wrote:

>    I have a function written in plpgsql.
>
>    I want that function to return a list of values (as SQL returns rows of a
> table).
>
>    How can I do this?

You can't.