crypt in Postgres?

From
"Emils Klotins"
Date:

Re: [SQL] crypt in Postgres?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Emils Klotins wrote:

> Hello, I wonder if there is something like crypt() function in
> postgtres, which would use standard unix crypt?

No, but you can easily write your own. See the chapter on functions in the
programmer's guide.

Re: [SQL] crypt in Postgres?

From
darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Date:
Thus spake Peter Eisentraut
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Emils Klotins wrote:
>
> > Hello, I wonder if there is something like crypt() function in
> > postgtres, which would use standard unix crypt?
>
> No, but you can easily write your own. See the chapter on functions in the
> programmer's guide.

In fact, see http://www.druid.net/darcy/files/chkpass.tgz for an example
of a user type that encrypts it's input.

Re: [SQL] crypt in Postgres?

From
Peter Mount
Date:
On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Emils Klotins wrote:
>
> > Hello, I wonder if there is something like crypt() function in
> > postgtres, which would use standard unix crypt?
>
> No, but you can easily write your own. See the chapter on functions in the
> programmer's guide.

Theres a UnixCrypt class in the JDBC driver which you could use. As its
all static, its easy to translate to another language.

Peter

--      Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk     Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Faq: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgresJava PDF Generator: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf