PGSQL non installer for linux

From
"Sivaramakrishnan Nageswaran"
Date:
Hi,

Does pgsql have anything like non-installer for linux i.e tar-gzipped bundle (as is available for linux in the form of zip file) which I can untar /unzip in the target machine? Basically I do not want to use rpm to install as it might fail due to dependency issues. So, if I have a custom built (for various flavours and versions of linux) bundle, I can just unbundle the same in a specified directory and start using it. Right now, if I use rpm for installing pgsql, it installs the files in various directories (like in /usr/bin, /var/lib/pgsql etc). Basically I wanted all the libraries, binaries and the database to come under a common parent directory.

Hope I have made sense. Any help is highly appreciated.
Thanks for any help.
Regards
- Siva

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain
(Home page: http://rushto_siva.tripod.com)

Re: PGSQL non installer for linux

Date:
"Sivaramakrishnan Nageswaran" <sivaramakrishnan.nageswaran@gmail.com> writes:
> Does pgsql have anything like non-installer for linux i.e tar-gzipped bundle
> (as is available for linux in the form of zip file) which I can untar /unzip
> in the target machine? Basically I do not want to use rpm to install as it
> might fail due to dependency issues.

To be blunt, you're out of your mind.  You're going to end up
reinventing rpm, badly.  If an rpm install fails due to dependencies
it's a good indication that the software wouldn't have worked when
installed.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PGSQL non installer for linux

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 20 June 2008 10:05:54 Tom Lane wrote:
> "Sivaramakrishnan Nageswaran" <sivaramakrishnan.nageswaran@gmail.com>
writes:
> > Does pgsql have anything like non-installer for linux i.e tar-gzipped
> > bundle (as is available for linux in the form of zip file) which I can
> > untar /unzip in the target machine? Basically I do not want to use rpm to
> > install as it might fail due to dependency issues.
>
> To be blunt, you're out of your mind.  You're going to end up
> reinventing rpm, badly.  If an rpm install fails due to dependencies
> it's a good indication that the software wouldn't have worked when
> installed.

That said, I believe postgres plus will do this for you. See
http://www.postgresrocks.com for download options.

--
Robert Treat