compiling problem

From
tzacos
Date:
hi,

i'm using a Mandriva Linux LE2005 (10.2) on an intel computer.

i'm trying to compile Postgresql. Everything is going fine except when
it does the regress step. At this point it failed with an initdb error.
In the initdb.log file in the BUILD/postgresql/src/test/regress/log i
have the following:

Running in noclean mode.  Mistakes will not be cleaned up.
initdb: cannot be run as root
Please log in (using, e.g., "su") as the (unprivileged) user that will
own the server process.

i am compiling trought RPM system

as:

rpm -ba /usr/src/RPM/SPECS/postgresql.specs

Please can someone help me?

Laurent

Re: compiling problem

Date:
tzacos <tzacos@free.fr> writes:
> initdb: cannot be run as root

Don't do it as root.  There's seldom any good reason to run software
builds as root.

            regards, tom lane

Re: compiling problem

From
tzacos
Date:
Tom Lane a écrit :

>tzacos <tzacos@free.fr> writes:
>

>>initdb: cannot be run as root
>>

>Don't do it as root.  There's seldom any good reason to run software
>builds as root.
>
>            regards, tom lane

the problem is that you can use rpm without being root

laurent

Re: compiling problem

Date:
tzacos <tzacos@free.fr> writes:
> Tom Lane a �crit :
>> Don't do it as root.  There's seldom any good reason to run software
>> builds as root.

> the problem is that you can use rpm without being root

[ I suppose you meant "can't" ]  Sure you can --- use rpmbuild anyway.

Actually installing the RPM after you built it needs root, for obvious
reasons, but there's no reason to do the build process as root.  I can
assure you that no one within Red Hat ever runs rpmbuild as root.

The done thing is to create a personal ~/rpmwork directory, with
subdirectories BUILD RPMS SOURCES SPECS and SRPMS, then create a
~/.rpmmacros file containing

%_topdir /home/..you../rpmwork

Then you build an SRPM by putting it in ~/rpmwork/SRPMS and running
rpmbuild there.  This results in RPMS under ~/rpmwork/RPMS, which
you can install via "sudo rpm -i ...".  But you don't do the actual
build as root, because that violates the ancient safety principle of
doing as little as possible as root.

            regards, tom lane