version 8 - fedora-legacy rpms

From
James - MRB listmail
RE: v8 SRPM packages for fedora-legacy Redhat Linux 7.x / 9

Hi There

  I maintain a number of Legacy Redhat Linux 7.x systems. In particular a
considerable amount of time was invested in an Oracle 9i / RH Linux 7.3
system that I wanted to compare ( performance wise ) directly with postgresql

  All my development work is done on a RH 7.2 Desktop, with the latest
GNU autoconf / automake from 7.3

  I ceased all testing and regular upgrading when SRPMS were no longer
to be found for these ( now fedora-legacy ) platforms. Note that a considerable
number of my sysadmin peers are STILL supporting RedHat 7.x and 9
production servers, with security patches from fedora-legacy.

  I usually build i686 RPM binaries from the SRPM packages locally, and work
from these.

  Can you give consideration to supplying the v8 release candidate packages
as Redhat 7.x SRPMS also please? If so I will resume the work that I abandoned
last year on postgresql building / upgrading / testing.

--

-- James

To reply by private email DONT delete the "nospam" in
Reply To or From header addresses!

Re: version 8 - fedora-legacy rpms

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Date:

Re: version 8 - fedora-legacy rpms

From
"James - listmail"
Date:
OnMon, 17 Jan 2005 20:26:32 +0200 (EET) Devrim GUNDUZ wrote..
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, James - MRB listmail wrote:

Thanks for the quick response Devrim

<snip>
>>  Can you give consideration to supplying the v8 release candidate packages
>> as Redhat 7.x SRPMS also please? [..]

>We have RC1 (S)RPMs on any FTP mirror. Please check:
>http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.0.0rc1/srpms/

I did thanks... But there seems to only be support for Fedora
Core.
Not fedora legacy Redhat Linux 7.x 8, 9!
Of these, FCx is less likely to be seen on production servers
Old Redhat Linux production stuff is still in use., and updates are fedora-legacy.

>RPMs for RC5 are also ready but we did not release them -- it's only 2
>days to final release. Maybe you'd like to wait for those packages.

If nothing before Fedora Core is being supported, I'm stuffed.

Eventually I intend to migrate, but I've no plans for FCx at all.

Perhaps someone here is also a fedora-legacy contributor?
If so, it might be worth the effort to maintain the SRPM .spec file that used have
options for building on 7.x 8, 9

Cheers
              -- James

-- James

To reply to me DONT delete the "nospam" from
the Reply To or From addresses.