Fw: Postgres on WinNT4 / SP5

From
kevinmcl@cwjamaica.com (kevin mclaughlin)
Date:
Hi all,

I got postgresql 7.1RC2 to compile on NT by following Kevin Lo's instructions to the letter (second try). I got it running and everything, but I am unable to connect to the database from other PCs using ODBC (Yes, I modified pg_hba.conf with a line like this :

host    all     0.0.0.0       0.0.0.0    trust

I first ran ./configure --with-odbc --with-perl, but when I ran make, only a subset of the executables were produced. This is why I tried the ./configure command alone.

Can anyone say whether I should be able to use odbc even if the --with-odbc directive is not specified with the configure script? I'd appreciate it if you replied to me at kevinm@mail.infochan.com as well as the list.

Regards,
Kevin

Re: Fw: Postgres on WinNT4 / SP5

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
kevin  mclaughlin writes:

> I got it running and everything, but I am unable to connect to the
> database from other PCs using ODBC (Yes, I modified pg_hba.conf with a
> line like this :
>
> host    all     0.0.0.0       0.0.0.0    trust

Can you connect using other interfaces, such as psql?  Is there anything
about failed connection attempts in the server log?

> I first ran ./configure --with-odbc --with-perl, but when I ran make, only a subset of the executables were produced.

What do you define as the full set and what is the subset you got?

> Can anyone say whether I should be able to use odbc even if the
> --with-odbc directive is not specified with the configure script?

--with-odbc compiles the odbc driver.  You can use a different odbc
driver, but from what I can tell it seems unlikely that you have one.
Note that you probably can't just connect through odbc without doing some
configuring of the odbc driver (manager) (the details of which are beyond
my knowlegde).

RE: Fw: Postgres on WinNT4 / SP5

From
"Hiroshi Inoue"
Date:
I got postgresql 7.1RC2 to compile on NT by following Kevin Lo's instructions to the letter (second try). I got it running and everything, but I am unable to connect to the database from other PCs using ODBC (Yes, I modified pg_hba.conf with a line like this :

host    all     0.0.0.0       0.0.0.0    trust

I first ran ./configure --with-odbc --with-perl, but when I ran make, only a subset of the executables were produced. This is why I tried the ./configure command alone.

Can anyone say whether I should be able to use odbc even if the --with-odbc directive is not specified with the configure script? I'd appreciate it if you replied to me at kevinm@mail.infochan.com as well as the list.

The ODBC driver made in cygwin is unavailable under native Windows environment.
You could also build it using win32.mak but psqlodbc.def may be corrupted
by the cygwin build process.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: Fw: Postgres on WinNT4 / SP5

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Hiroshi,

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 08:52:29AM +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
>     The ODBC driver made in cygwin is unavailable under native Windows
>     environment.

Is the Cygwin ODBC driver known to work?  If so, then I will include it
in my next Cygwin PostgreSQL distribution.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

Re: Fw: Postgres on WinNT4 / SP5

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 08:52:29AM +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
>     Get the binary from ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/versions/.

The readme.txt in

    ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/

is *much* newer and more useful than one the in CVS.  Someone please
commit this newer version into CVS.

Thanks,
Jason

--

Date:

It doesn't seem to work with M$ ODBC Driver Manager.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

RE: Fw: Postgres on WinNT4 / SP5

From
"Hiroshi Inoue"
Date:

Recently Dave Page is rewriting the documentation about ODBC.
Thanks Dave.
If there's no objection, I would commit it into CVS.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: Fw: Postgres on WinNT4 / SP5

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Hiroshi,

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 08:11:51AM +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> It doesn't seem to work with M$ ODBC Driver Manager.

Any idea why not?

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com

Re: Fw: Postgres on WinNT4 / SP5

From
Hiroshi Inoue
Date:
Hi Jason,

Jason Tishler wrote:

> Hiroshi,
>
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 08:11:51AM +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> > It doesn't seem to work with M$ ODBC Driver Manager.
>
> Any idea why not?

The current non-Windows psqlodbc driver is intended to use
with iODBC driver manager. It's not easy to support other
driver managers. For example, another driver manager unixODBC
isn't supported yet in current source.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue