Fw: porting to AIX

From
kevinmcl@cwjamaica.com (kevin mclaughlin)
Date:
Hi All,

I was trying to get postgresql to compile on AIX 3.2.5 and on AIX 4.something, I don't remember, but can check. Anyway, neither compile worked. I was using the c compiler that came with AIX. Using the patch sent to the list by Peter Eisentraut, will the compilation work on 3.2.5 with the default compiler, or will I have to install GCC. Also, any other hints will be appreciated. By the way, how do you apply this patch, anyway.

Regards,
Kevin McLaughlin

Re: Fw: porting to AIX

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
kevin  mclaughlin writes:

> I was trying to get postgresql to compile on AIX 3.2.5 and on AIX 4.something, I don't remember, but can check.
Anyway,neither compile worked. I was using the c compiler that came with AIX. Using the patch sent to the list by Peter
Eisentraut,will the compilation work on 3.2.5 with the default compiler, or will I have to install GCC. Also, any other
hintswill be appreciated. By the way, how do you apply this patch, anyway.

The best bet at getting help with building and porting problems is to
follow the installation instructions closely, show what you did and what
failed.  "Didn't work" won't get anything solved.  For a start you could
download the latest release candidate of PostgreSQL 7.1.  That patch I
posted, btw., is only a fix for a particular subversion of AIX 4.* and
it's included in the latest release candidate.

AIX 4.1 shared library support

From
Rocco Altier
Date:
I have noticed that only 1 of the 2 fixes necessary for AIX 4.1 have made
it into CVS.

The change that I submitted to Makefile.shlib has not gone in.  Is there
anything else I need to do to get it in?

    -rocco

Re: AIX 4.1 shared library support

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Rocco Altier writes:

> I have noticed that only 1 of the 2 fixes necessary for AIX 4.1 have made
> it into CVS.
>
> The change that I submitted to Makefile.shlib has not gone in.  Is there
> anything else I need to do to get it in?

I cannot find your patch anywhere.

Re: Fw: porting to AIX

From
kevinmcl@cwjamaica.com (kevin mclaughlin)
Date:
Hi Peter,

I have postgresql-7.0.3 source files loaded on the AIX box. I will try
7.1RC4 as you suggested but have to download the source at home and carry it
to work to do so. Today's a public holiday here.

In the meantime, I tried compiling postgresql-7.0.3 on AIX 4.3.2.0

Ran ./configure --without-CXX

then ran gmake (GNU make ver 3.79.1) and got following error:

# gmake
Making postgres.imp
./backend/port/aix/mkldexport.sh postgres /usr/local/pgsql/bin >
postgres.imp
nm: postgres: 0654-200 Cannot open the specified file.
nm: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.
xlc -Wl,-bE:./backend/postgres.imp -o postgres
 ../utils/version.o -lPW -lcrypt
-lld -lnsl -ldl -lm -ltermcap -lcurses
xlc: 1501-228 input file ../utils/version.o not found
gmake: *** [postgres.imp] Error 252

Any ideas?

Regards,
Kevin

> > I was trying to get postgresql to compile on AIX 3.2.5 and on AIX
4.something, I don't remember, but can check. Anyway, neither compile
worked. I was using the c compiler that came with AIX. Using the patch sent
to the list by Peter Eisentraut, will the compilation work on 3.2.5 with the
default compiler, or will I have to install GCC. Also, any other hints will
be appreciated. By the way, how do you apply this patch, anyway.

> The best bet at getting help with building and porting problems is to
> follow the installation instructions closely, show what you did and what
> failed.  "Didn't work" won't get anything solved.  For a start you could
> download the latest release candidate of PostgreSQL 7.1.  That patch I
> posted, btw., is only a fix for a particular subversion of AIX 4.* and
> it's included in the latest release candidate.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut      peter_e@gmx.net       http://yi.org/peter-e/

Re: Fw: porting to AIX

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
kevin  mclaughlin writes:

> # gmake
> Making postgres.imp
> ./backend/port/aix/mkldexport.sh postgres /usr/local/pgsql/bin >
> postgres.imp
> nm: postgres: 0654-200 Cannot open the specified file.
> nm: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.
> xlc -Wl,-bE:./backend/postgres.imp -o postgres
>  ../utils/version.o -lPW -lcrypt
> -lld -lnsl -ldl -lm -ltermcap -lcurses
> xlc: 1501-228 input file ../utils/version.o not found
> gmake: *** [postgres.imp] Error 252

You need to enter 'gmake all'.  It's a known and fixed bug.

Re: AIX 4.1 shared library support

Date:
Rocco Altier <roccoa@routescape.com> writes:
> I have noticed that only 1 of the 2 fixes necessary for AIX 4.1 have made
> it into CVS.

> The change that I submitted to Makefile.shlib has not gone in.

Which was?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Fw: porting to AIX

From
kevinmcl@cwjamaica.com (kevin mclaughlin)
Date:
Thanx Peter.

After using gmake all, the compile failed again, but MUCH later in the
process. I decided that rather than spend time getting 7.0.3 up when I
planned to move to 7.1RC4, I would be best served to download 7.1RC4 now, so
I did.
Again, gmake all worked well, and postgresql is now installed.

Thanx again.

Regards, Kevin