plPGsql and PostgreSQL 7.1beta4 in Cygwin doesn't work

From
"Eduardo Stern"
Date:
Hello.

I've installed cygwin 1.1.8, with the latest snapshot with mmap corrections,
installed cygipc, compiled PostgreSQL 7.1beta4. Made the regression test
using make SHELL=/bin/bash check, ant it passed all 76 tests.

Then I created a database for productions with initdb, created some tables,
and tried a plpgsql function. It hangs the server everytime. Even a very
small plpgsql function hangs. Tried createlang with the -L parameter, and it
gives the same problem. The same plpgsql function works great on the Linux
PostgreSQL.

Anybody have clues? Could it be related to cygwin 1.1.8?

Thank's,

Eduardo Stern

Re: plPGsql and PostgreSQL 7.1beta4 in Cygwin doesn't work

From
"Myles Bogner, Ph.D."
Date:
Eduardo,

    I'm able to use plpgsql functions without difficulty on Windows 2000
with the PostgreSQL CVS checkout.  I did have to check out the latest cygwin
dll snapshot.  In addition, I had to symlink /usr/lib/plpgsql.so ->
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.dll .

    Myles

Date:
"Eduardo Stern" <eduardo@stern.com.br> writes:
> I've installed cygwin 1.1.8, with the latest snapshot with mmap corrections,
> installed cygipc, compiled PostgreSQL 7.1beta4. Made the regression test
> using make SHELL=/bin/bash check, ant it passed all 76 tests.

> Then I created a database for productions with initdb, created some tables,
> and tried a plpgsql function. It hangs the server everytime. Even a very
> small plpgsql function hangs. Tried createlang with the -L parameter, and it
> gives the same problem. The same plpgsql function works great on the Linux
> PostgreSQL.

Hm.  There are tests of plpgsql in the regress tests, so it's not the
case that plpgsql is completely broken on your machine.  Can you attach
to the backend process with gdb and get a backtrace to see where it's
hanging?

            regards, tom lane

Re: plPGsql and PostgreSQL 7.1beta4 in Cygwin doesn't work

From
Fred Yankowski
Date:
Cygwin 1.1.8 didn't work for me either with a recent snapshot of
PostgreSQL.  I had to revert to version 1.1.7 of the cygwin package.
Others have reported similar problems to the PGSQL lists.

--
Fred Yankowski           fred@OntoSys.com      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370