Please Define Supported/Unsupported

From
Ricardo Davis
Date:
On the features comparison chart (http://www.postgresql.org/doxlist.html) you specify whether pgsql 6.5.3 is supported or unsupported on a number of platforms.  This list says that this version is not supported for Linux/Sparc systems, however RedHat's latest distribution has RPMs for version 6.5.2.  So does "unsupported" mean "not for public release"?  Or does the PostgreSQL team plan to ever maintain current versions for the Linux/Sparc platform? This is important since I have some Linux/Sparc systems, and I'd like to implement some applications that use pgsql as a DBMS.  If there will be no further development for Linux/Sparc then I'll need to change my application's specifications.

Ricardo

 Intermedia Communications
Ricardo Davis
Comactiv Billing Operations
770-980-6000(Office)
770-980-6003(Fax)
mailto:rcdavis@intermedia.com

Re: [PORTS] Please Define Supported/Unsupported

From
Palle Girgensohn
Date:
Ricardo Davis wrote:

> On the features comparison chart (http://www.postgresql.org/doxlist.html) you
> specify whether pgsql 6.5.3 is supported or unsupported on a number of
> platforms.  This list says that this version is
> not supported for Linux/Sparc systems, however RedHat's latest distribution
> has RPMs for version 6.5.2.  So does "unsupported" mean "not for public
> release"?  Or does the PostgreSQL team plan to
> ever maintain current versions for the Linux/Sparc platform?

I don't think the PostgreSQL team maintains the web page. I've been using postgres for sparc for two+ years. Postgres
iswell supported on Sparc, alright. The web site is not that well supported,
though. :(

Regards,
Palle

Re: [PORTS] Please Define Supported/Unsupported

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Palle Girgensohn wrote:

> Ricardo Davis wrote:
> >
> > On the features comparison chart (http://www.postgresql.org/doxlist.html) you
> > specify whether pgsql 6.5.3 is supported or unsupported on a number of
> > platforms.  This list says that this version is
> > not supported for Linux/Sparc systems, however RedHat's latest distribution
> > has RPMs for version 6.5.2.  So does "unsupported" mean "not for public
> > release"?  Or does the PostgreSQL team plan to
> > ever maintain current versions for the Linux/Sparc platform?
>
> I don't think the PostgreSQL team maintains the web page. I've been
> using postgres for sparc for two+ years. Postgres is well supported on
> Sparc, alright. The web site is not that well supported, though. :(

The web site is quite well supported, actually...based on what ppl
report...

Now, I've been using PostgreSQL for the past 3+ years on Sparc ... running
Solaris ... can you confirm that the Sparc you are running on is Linux vs
Solaris, so that Vince can get that updated?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Date:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>
> > I don't think the PostgreSQL team maintains the web page. I've been
> > using postgres for sparc for two+ years. Postgres is well supported on
> > Sparc, alright. The web site is not that well supported, though. :(
>
> The web site is quite well supported, actually...based on what ppl
> report...

I must agree, it has improved a lot the last year or so. I think I have jumped the trigger too fast this time, and I
apologize!I have had a lot of difficulties using the web in the past (one thing
was a strange redirector throwing me to a broken mirror site unless I printed the entire
"http://www.postgresql.org/index.html"),but most of problems are long gone; I just still remembered them, I
guess... It's a fine and well maintained web site!

> Now, I've been using PostgreSQL for the past 3+ years on Sparc ... running
> Solaris ... can you confirm that the Sparc you are running on is Linux vs
> Solaris, so that Vince can get that updated?

Again, I blush out of ignorance. Nope, I use Solaris/Sparc. I misunderstood the Linux/Sparc for linux AND sparc...
sorry!

But, http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html#1.3 says

   What Unix platforms does PostgreSQL run on?
   * linux - Intel i86 Alpha SPARC PPC M68k

It seems like Linux/Sparc is OK? Does the web say something else elsewhere?

/Palle

Re: [PORTS] Please Define Supported/Unsupported

From
The Hermit Hacker

> But, http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html#1.3 says
>
>    What Unix platforms does PostgreSQL run on?
>    * linux - Intel i86 Alpha SPARC PPC M68k
>
> It seems like Linux/Sparc is OK? Does the web say something else elsewhere?

The only places I can find list it as being supported as well :(  We'll
need a specific URL, I fear, to figure this one out...

Date:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > But, http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html#1.3 says
> >
> >    What Unix platforms does PostgreSQL run on?
> >    * linux - Intel i86 Alpha SPARC PPC M68k
> >
> > It seems like Linux/Sparc is OK? Does the web say something else
> > elsewhere?
>
> The only places I can find list it as being supported as well :(  We'll
> need a specific URL, I fear, to figure this one out...

Hmm.. The comparison chart:

http://www.postgresql.org/comp-comparison.html

There's a grey dot for Linux/Sparc...

/Palle

Re: [PORTS] Please Define Supported/Unsupported

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On 30-Dec-99 Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>>
>> > I don't think the PostgreSQL team maintains the web page. I've been
>> > using postgres for sparc for two+ years. Postgres is well supported on
>> > Sparc, alright. The web site is not that well supported, though. :(
>>
>> The web site is quite well supported, actually...based on what ppl
>> report...
>
> I must agree, it has improved a lot the last year or so. I think I have jumped the trigger too fast
> this time, and I apologize! I have had a lot of difficulties using the web in the past (one thing
> was a strange redirector throwing me to a broken mirror site unless I printed the entire
> "http://www.postgresql.org/index.html"), but most of problems are long gone; I just still remembered
> them, I
> guess... It's a fine and well maintained web site!

If you come across a broken mirror drop a note to webmaster@postgresql.org
It's the only way I'll know it's broken.  I check them periodically, but
I don't check out each page.

Vince.
   128K ISDN: $24.95/mo or less - 56K Dialup: $17.95/mo or less at Pop4