PHP Generator For PostgreSQL?

From
"Announce"
Date:
Hi,

I am looking for a tool that will automatically generate web forms that will
allow me to view/update/insert data on a PG database. Preferably in PHP.  I
am seeing TONS of tools for MySQL but nothing yet for PG. If anyone knows of
something please let me know.

Thanks,

Aaron

Re: PHP Generator For PostgreSQL?

From
"Ray Garrison"
Date:
Uh, have you looked at phpPgAdmin?

Date:
Maybe I need to explain a little more...  I'm aware of phpPGAdmin but it is
overkill in this case.

A MySQL example of this would be "PHP MySQL Wizard". I'm looking for a
PostgreSQL equivalent.

What I really want is a time-saving utility that will automatically generate
some administration pages (view, update, add, delete) given a set of related
tables.  I want it to create some PHP pages w/html forms that non-technical
users can use to make changes to a database... Usually would support lookup
functionality for foreign keys, etc.

I COULD do this manually but I know there should be good utilities that
accomplish the same task in like 1/100th the time.  And my time... is
PRICELESS.   :-)

-Aaron
| I am looking for a tool that will automatically generate web forms
that
| will
| allow me to view/update/insert data on a PG database. Preferably in
PHP.
| am seeing TONS of tools for MySQL but nothing yet for PG. If anyone
knows
| of
| something please let me know.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Aaron

Re: PHP Generator For PostgreSQL?

From
Rick Morris
Announce wrote:
> Maybe I need to explain a little more...  I'm aware of phpPGAdmin but it is
> overkill in this case.
>
> A MySQL example of this would be "PHP MySQL Wizard". I'm looking for a
> PostgreSQL equivalent.
>
> What I really want is a time-saving utility that will automatically generate
> some administration pages (view, update, add, delete) given a set of related
> tables.  I want it to create some PHP pages w/html forms that non-technical
> users can use to make changes to a database... Usually would support lookup
> functionality for foreign keys, etc.

You might want to check out PHPLens (http://phplens.com/), which uses
ADODB to support multiple DBMS's. This is a commercial PHP toolkit, though.

I don't know of a free PostgreSQL-specific kit for this, but there are a
couple excellent PEAR (http://pear.php.net) classes for form generation
(HTML_QuickForm) and table generation (HTML_Table). With these, it's
really not too hard to automate a lot of the work of standard CRUD
database interaction.

> I COULD do this manually but I know there should be good utilities that
> accomplish the same task in like 1/100th the time.  And my time... is
> PRICELESS.   :-)
>
> -Aaron

Date:
Much appreciated.

I must admit, I'm a spoiled over-privileged American so I don't understand
Indonesian/whatever.  I gotta find something that's in ENGLISH. I'll still
give this one a try. I've found a couple others in the last 1/2 hr.
phpCodeGenie might be a simple solution.

Have you taken a look at the php code that is available at
www.phpclasses.org ? For those not familiar with this site, take a look,
and stop re-inventing the wheel.
Here's an example of the requested class
http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/2580.html

| I am looking for a tool that will automatically generate web forms
that
| will
| allow me to view/update/insert data on a PG database. Preferably in
PHP.
| am seeing TONS of tools for MySQL but nothing yet for PG. If anyone
knows
| of
| something please let me know.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Aaron

11/16/2005

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: PHP Generator For PostgreSQL?

From
"Announce"
Date:
Thanks. The CRUD functionality is exactly what I want to do.

So maybe I should ask the group this:

-What is everyone using to accomplish this? I mean, are most people just
hand coding this stuff?  It's so much easier to have a generator do it and
then just tweak the code as needed, add a stylesheet, etc.

My issue is that that I will probably have to do Postgres work like this in
the future so I don't want to have to repeat this same generic task for each
job that comes up.  A generator would just be nice and it'd be one less
argument against psql for the mysql-nazis. :)

Thanks,

Aaron

> Maybe I need to explain a little more...  I'm aware of phpPGAdmin but it
is
> overkill in this case.
>
> A MySQL example of this would be "PHP MySQL Wizard". I'm looking for a
> PostgreSQL equivalent.
>
> What I really want is a time-saving utility that will automatically
generate
> some administration pages (view, update, add, delete) given a set of
related
> tables.  I want it to create some PHP pages w/html forms that
non-technical
> users can use to make changes to a database... Usually would support
lookup
> functionality for foreign keys, etc.

You might want to check out PHPLens (http://phplens.com/), which uses
ADODB to support multiple DBMS's. This is a commercial PHP toolkit, though.

I don't know of a free PostgreSQL-specific kit for this, but there are a
couple excellent PEAR (http://pear.php.net) classes for form generation
(HTML_QuickForm) and table generation (HTML_Table). With these, it's
really not too hard to automate a lot of the work of standard CRUD
database interaction.

> I COULD do this manually but I know there should be good utilities that
> accomplish the same task in like 1/100th the time.  And my time... is
> PRICELESS.   :-)
>
> -Aaron

John DeSoi
Date:
On Nov 17, 2005, at 5:38 PM, Announce wrote:

> Thanks. The CRUD functionality is exactly what I want to do.

I have not tried it, but Cake claims to support PostgreSQL and CRUD.

http://cakephp.org/

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: PHP Generator For PostgreSQL?

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Check PEAR: pear.php.net

Search for 'form'

Stuff like DB_Forms, etc.

Chris

Date:
> My issue is that that I will probably have to do Postgres work like this in
> the future so I don't want to have to repeat this same generic task for each
> job that comes up.  A generator would just be nice and it'd be one less
> argument against psql for the mysql-nazis. :)

Check out:

http://pear.php.net/package/DB_DataObject_FormBuilder

Chris

Date:
> -What is everyone using to accomplish this? I mean,
> are most people just
> hand coding this stuff?  It's so much easier to have
> a generator do it and
> then just tweak the code as needed, add a
> stylesheet, etc.

i use Manuel lemos' forms generation and validation
class and i really like it.  i can

1. validate my forms coientside
2. validate my forms serverside
3. easy to apply regex
4. apply javascript to all form events (ie, color
background after update)
5. logic code is separate from display code
6. css is easily integrated
7. access to all html form element variables (height,
etc...)
8. linked select boxes (change in box A updates box B)
9. handles dates
10. plus lots of other stuff i haven't had to use...
yet.
11. Manuel is available to help answer questions via
his Froms Class Yahoo Group.

you do all the coding by "hand", but i'm not sure
there is a simpler way to do it *and* still maintain
the fine grained control.

you can find his class at phpclasses.org - it is free,
but you do have to sign up with a valid email address
and you will get site updates.  i'm sure that if you
unregister, though, the site updates will stop.

best of luck.

http://farechase.yahoo.com