PostgreSQL Tuning for Messaging/Messenger/Chatting Application

From
FattahRozzaq
Date:
Dear all,

I have server as below:
- OS Debian 7.0 (Wheezy)
- CPU 24 cores
- RAM 128GB
- SSD 128GB
- 1 Gigabit Ethernet

I need to tune the Postgres with hardware specification above for my
Messaging/Messenger/Chatting Application that will run separately in
another server.

Can you give me the recommended configuration (postgresql.conf ?) for
my requirement above?

Big thanks in advance,
FattahRozzaq

Re: PostgreSQL Tuning for Messaging/Messenger/Chatting Application

From
Sridhar N Bamandlapally
Date:
With server configuration and application functional we cannot conclude postgresql.conf, application behavior need to consider(mandatory)

but, can give some ideal way of calculation

1) shared_buffers can be 7-8% of database size under condition having proper indexes with size not greater then 10-15% of respective table size,

2) work_mem can be 8mb if database size under 100-120gb with point#1

3) maintanance_work_mem can be 512mb if database size under 100-120gb and any table max size under 0-2GB

4) checkpoint_segments = 16

5) all scan parameters "on"

6)  autovacuum = on    ##### if transactions on tables are under 0-30% per day
      autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0.2
      autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor = 0.1

7) effective_cache_size = 64-96GB

Note: 1) may need changes based on application behavior, specially if sorting and full-table-scans and transactions are very high.
       2) regular maintenance is required to control database size and performance
       3) only some parameters defined