Postgresql 9.3 for a Mobile Backend

From
"Rajiv Kasera"

Dear Community friends,

We are planning to use postgresql 9.3 for building a mobile backend. Can we get a benchmark on the level of concurrency that can be supported by Postgres 9.3 and it will be able to handle the spike in traffic if the app gets popular.

Any help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rajiv

This message may contain privileged and confidential information and is solely for the use of intended recipient. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not of Pine Labs. The recipient should check this email and attachments for the presence of viruses / malwares etc. Pine Labs accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Pine Labs may monitor and record all emails.

Re: Postgresql 9.3 for a Mobile Backend

From
desmodemone

Dear Community friends,

We are planning to use postgresql 9.3 for building a mobile backend. Can we get a benchmark on the level of concurrency that can be supported by Postgres 9.3 and it will be able to handle the spike in traffic if the app gets popular.

Any help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rajiv

This message may contain privileged and confidential information and is solely for the use of intended recipient. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not of Pine Labs. The recipient should check this email and attachments for the presence of viruses / malwares etc. Pine Labs accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Pine Labs may monitor and record all emails.

Hello,
               you could use Hammerdb : http://hammerora.sourceforge.net/     ,  pgbench , yahoo ycsb  https://github.com/brianfrankcooper/YCSB

Bye

Mat Dba

Re: Postgresql 9.3 for a Mobile Backend

From
Tomas Vondra
Date:
On 8.5.2014 09:10, Rajiv Kasera wrote:
> Dear Community friends,
>

> We are planning to use postgresql 9.3 for building a mobile backend. Can
> we get a benchmark on the level of concurrency that can be supported by
> Postgres 9.3 and it will be able to handle the spike in traffic if the
> app gets popular.

I'm afraid the only answer we can give you is 'that depends ...' :-(

Three most important things you need to know before answering the
questions is;

1) dataset - How much data are we talking about? Is only small part
   active? Is it static / does it change a lot? Etc.

2) workload - Are you doing simple or complex queries? What portion of
   the workload is read-only?

3) hardware - CPUs, drives, ...

There's no way to answer the question without answering these questions
first. There are databases that promise you everything without asking
you these questions - treat them just like Ulysses approached sirens.

I understand these questions are difficult to answer before the project
even started, but you certainly have an idea how it's going to work so
do estimates and review them as the project progresses.

regards
Tomas