Invalid memory alloc request size

From
Mahavir Trivedi
Date:
dear friends

i have - sql file of size more than 1 gb
when i execute it  then after some time "Invalid memory alloc request size 100234023 byte"   occcured
what ' s problem that i don't know ?

with thanks
mahavir

Re: Invalid memory alloc request size

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hello

2012/10/31 Mahavir Trivedi <mahavir.trivedi@gmail.com>:
> dear friends
>
> i have - sql file of size more than 1 gb
> when i execute it  then after some time "Invalid memory alloc request size
> 100234023 byte"   occcured
> what ' s problem that i don't know ?

there is hard-coded limit for memory request - for example - varlena
cannot be longer than 1GB, so this request was usually signal of some
error. Probably is too less for current computers.

Regards

Pavel Stěhule

> with thanks
> mahavir

Re: Invalid memory alloc request size

From
Samuel Gendler
Date:
This was answered on the list last time you asked it. You are exceeding a maximum buffer size. There was an implication that it was related to converting a string from one encoding to another that could maybe be alleviated by using the same encoding in both client and server, but a more reliable solution is probably breaking your sql file into smaller pieces (or, perhaps even better would be bulk-loading the data via COPY, assuming that isn't subject to the same buffer size limitation ). I suppose you could investigate recompiling postgresql with a larger buffer, though that is likely to have side effects that i certainly can't predict.