local-storage versus SAN sequential read performance comparison

From
Jan Nielsen
Date:
This is outside of PG performance proper, but while testing pg_dump and pg_restore performance on local-storage versus SAN storage I noticed a big performance drops on in the SAN configuration. I'm told that both local storage and SAN storage are 15k drives with local-storage running dual RAID1 configuration while HP StorageWorks SB40c SAN is 10x15k RAID1+0. Running a hdparm -tT tests with different read-ahead, I see the following differences on /dev/sda (local-storage) and /dev/sdc (SAN storage). I'm shocked at the drop in buffered disk read performance 150MB/sec versus 80MB/sec and surprised at the SAN variability at 1MB/sec versus 10MB/sec, local-storage and SAN storage respectively.

For those who, unlike me, have experience looking at SAN storage performance, is the drop in buffered disk reads and large variability the expected cost of centralized remote storage in SANs with fiber-channel communication, SAN fail-over, etc.

If you have any ideas or insights and/or if you know of a better suited forum for this question I'd sure appreciate the feedback.

Cheers,

Jan
Attachment

Re: local-storage versus SAN sequential read performance comparison

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
How fast is the link to your SAN?  If it's Gigabit, then 80MB/s would
be pretty reasonable.

Also SANs are normally known for very good random access performance
and not necessarily for fast sequential performance.

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Jan Nielsen
<jan.sture.nielsen@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is outside of PG performance proper, but while testing pg_dump and
> pg_restore performance on local-storage versus SAN storage I noticed a big
> performance drops on in the SAN configuration. I'm told that both local
> storage and SAN storage are 15k drives with local-storage running dual RAID1
> configuration while HP StorageWorks SB40c SAN is 10x15k RAID1+0. Running a
> hdparm -tT tests with different read-ahead, I see the following differences
> on /dev/sda (local-storage) and /dev/sdc (SAN storage). I'm shocked at the
> drop in buffered disk read performance 150MB/sec versus 80MB/sec and
> surprised at the SAN variability at 1MB/sec versus 10MB/sec, local-storage
> and SAN storage respectively.
>
> For those who, unlike me, have experience looking at SAN storage
> performance, is the drop in buffered disk reads and large variability the
> expected cost of centralized remote storage in SANs with fiber-channel
> communication, SAN fail-over, etc.
>
> If you have any ideas or insights and/or if you know of a better suited
> forum for this question I'd sure appreciate the feedback.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Jan

Re: local-storage versus SAN sequential read performance comparison

From
Shaun Thomas
Date:
On 05/21/2012 10:41 AM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> How fast is the link to your SAN?  If it's Gigabit, then 80MB/s would
> be pretty reasonable.

Wow, I didn't even think of that. I was looking up specs on the SAN. :)

Those stats are pretty horrible for sequential reads. The SAN should
improve random reads, not mercilessly ruin sequential.

That does sound like the problem, though.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534