Postgres array parser

From
Aleksej Trofimov
Date:
Hello, I wanted to ask according such a problem which we had faced with.
We are widely using postgres arrays like key->value array by doing like
this:

{{1,5},{2,6},{3,7}}

where 1,2,3 are keys, and 5,6,7 are values. In our pgSql functions we
are using self written array_input(array::numeric[], key::numeric)
function which makes a loop on whole array and searches for key like
FOR i IN 1 .. size LOOP
             if array[i][1] = key then
                 return array[i][2];
             end if;
END LOOP;

But this was a good solution until our arrays and database had grown. So
now FOR loop takes a lot of time to find value of an array.

And my question is, how this problem of performance could be solved? We
had tried pgperl for string parsing, but it takes much more time than
our current solution. Also we are thinking about self-written C++
function, may be someone had implemented this algorithm before?

--
Best regards

Aleksej Trofimov

Re: Postgres array parser

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hello

do you know FOREACH IN ARRAY statement in 9.1

this significantly accelerate iteration over array

http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2011/03/07/waiting-for-9-1-foreach-in-array/

2011/12/13 Aleksej Trofimov <aleksej.trofimov@ruptela.lt>:
> Hello, I wanted to ask according such a problem which we had faced with.
> We are widely using postgres arrays like key->value array by doing like
> this:
>
> {{1,5},{2,6},{3,7}}
>
> where 1,2,3 are keys, and 5,6,7 are values. In our pgSql functions we are
> using self written array_input(array::numeric[], key::numeric) function
> which makes a loop on whole array and searches for key like
> FOR i IN 1 .. size LOOP
>            if array[i][1] = key then
>                return array[i][2];
>            end if;
> END LOOP;
>
> But this was a good solution until our arrays and database had grown. So now
> FOR loop takes a lot of time to find value of an array.
>
> And my question is, how this problem of performance could be solved? We had
> tried pgperl for string parsing, but it takes much more time than our
> current solution. Also we are thinking about self-written C++ function, may
> be someone had implemented this algorithm before?

you can use indexes or you can use hstore

Regards

Pavel Stehule

> --
> Best regards
>
> Aleksej Trofimov

Re: Postgres array parser

From
Aleksej Trofimov
Date:
We have tried foreach syntax, but we have noticed performance degradation:
Function with for: 203ms
Function with foreach: ~250ms:

there is functions code:
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION input_value_fe(in_inputs numeric[],
in_input_nr numeric)
   RETURNS numeric AS
$BODY$
declare i numeric[];
BEGIN
         FOREACH i SLICE 1 IN ARRAY in_inputs
             LOOP
                  if i[1] = in_input_nr then
                     return i[2];
                  end if;
             END LOOP;

     return null;
END;
$BODY$
   LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE
   COST 100;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION input_value(in_inputs numeric[], in_input_nr
numeric)
   RETURNS numeric AS
$BODY$
declare
   size int;
BEGIN
   size = array_upper(in_inputs, 1);
     IF size IS NOT NULL THEN
         FOR i IN 1 .. size LOOP
             if in_inputs[i][1] = in_input_nr then
                 return in_inputs[i][2];
             end if;
         END LOOP;
     END IF;

     return null;
END;
$BODY$
   LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE
   COST 100;

On 12/13/2011 04:02 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hello
>
> do you know FOREACH IN ARRAY statement in 9.1
>
> this significantly accelerate iteration over array
>
> http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2011/03/07/waiting-for-9-1-foreach-in-array/
>

> 2011/12/13 Aleksej Trofimov<aleksej.trofimov@ruptela.lt>:
>> Hello, I wanted to ask according such a problem which we had faced with.
>> We are widely using postgres arrays like key->value array by doing like
>> this:
>>
>> {{1,5},{2,6},{3,7}}
>>
>> where 1,2,3 are keys, and 5,6,7 are values. In our pgSql functions we are
>> using self written array_input(array::numeric[], key::numeric) function
>> which makes a loop on whole array and searches for key like
>> FOR i IN 1 .. size LOOP
>>             if array[i][1] = key then
>>                 return array[i][2];
>>             end if;
>> END LOOP;
>>
>> But this was a good solution until our arrays and database had grown. So now
>> FOR loop takes a lot of time to find value of an array.
>>
>> And my question is, how this problem of performance could be solved? We had
>> tried pgperl for string parsing, but it takes much more time than our
>> current solution. Also we are thinking about self-written C++ function, may
>> be someone had implemented this algorithm before?
>>
> you can use indexes or you can use hstore
>
> Regards
>
> Pavel Stehule
>
>> --
>> Best regards
>>
>> Aleksej Trofimov
>>

>> --

Best regards

Aleksej Trofimov

UAB "Ruptela"

Phone: +370 657 80475

E-Mail: aleksej.trofimov@ruptela.lt
Web:    http://www.ruptela.lt

Ruptela - the most successful IT company in Lithuania 2011
Ruptela - sekmingiausia Lietuvos aukštųjų technologijų įmonė 2011

http://www.prezidentas.lt/lt/spaudos_centras_392/pranesimai_spaudai/inovatyvus_verslas_-_konkurencingos_lietuvos_pagrindas.html
http://www.ruptela.lt/news/37/121/Ruptela-sekmingiausia-jauna-aukstuju-technologiju-imone-Lietuvoje

Re: Postgres array parser

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hello

> [...]
>>> using self written array_input(array::numeric[], key::numeric) function
>>> which makes a loop on whole array and searches for key like
>>> FOR i IN 1 .. size LOOP
>>>            if array[i][1] = key then
>>>                return array[i][2];
>>>            end if;
>>> END LOOP;
>>>
>>> But this was a good solution until our arrays and database had grown. So
>>> now
>>> FOR loop takes a lot of time to find value of an array.
>>>
>>> And my question is, how this problem of performance could be solved? We
>>> had
>>> tried pgperl for string parsing, but it takes much more time than our
>>> current solution. Also we are thinking about self-written C++ function,
>>> may
>>> be someone had implemented this algorithm before?
>>>
>> you can use indexes or you can use hstore

It is strange - on my comp FOREACH is about 2x faster

postgres=# select input_value(array(select
generate_series(1,1000000)::numeric), 100000);
 input_value
-------------

(1 row)

Time: 495.426 ms

postgres=# select input_value_fe(array(select
generate_series(1,1000000)::numeric), 100000);
 input_value_fe
----------------

(1 row)

Time: 248.980 ms

Regards

Pavel

> --
> Best regards
>
> Aleksej Trofimov
>
> UAB "Ruptela"
>
> Phone: +370 657 80475
>
> E-Mail: aleksej.trofimov@ruptela.lt
> Web:    http://www.ruptela.lt
>
> Ruptela - the most successful IT company in Lithuania 2011
> Ruptela - sekmingiausia Lietuvos aukštųjų technologijų įmonė 2011

http://www.prezidentas.lt/lt/spaudos_centras_392/pranesimai_spaudai/inovatyvus_verslas_-_konkurencingos_lietuvos_pagrindas.html
> http://www.ruptela.lt/news/37/121/Ruptela-sekmingiausia-jauna-aukstuju-technologiju-imone-Lietuvoje

Re: Postgres array parser

From
"Marc Mamin"
Date:
Hello,

For such cases (see below), it would be nice to have an unnest function that only affect the first array dimension.

Something like

unnest(ARRAY[[1,2],[2,3]], SLICE=1)
=>
unnest
------
[1,2]
[2,3]

With this function, I imagine that following sql function
might beat the plpgsql FOREACH version.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION input_value_un (in_inputs numeric[], in_input_nr numeric)
   RETURNS numeric AS
$BODY$

  SELECT u[1][2]
  FROM unnest($1, SLICE =1) u
  WHERE u[1][1]=in_input_nr
  LIMIT 1;

$BODY$
   LANGUAGE sql IMMUTABLE;

best regards,

Marc Mamin

Date:
Yes, it would be great, but I haven't found such a function, which
splits 2 dimensional array into rows =) Maybe we'll modify existing
function, but unfortunately we have tried hstore type and function in
postgres and we see a significant performance improvements. So we only
need to convert existing data into hstore and I think this is a good
solution.

On 12/14/2011 11:21 AM, Marc Mamin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For such cases (see below), it would be nice to have an unnest function that only affect the first array dimension.
>
> Something like
>
> unnest(ARRAY[[1,2],[2,3]], SLICE=1)
> =>
> unnest
> ------
> [1,2]
> [2,3]
>

> With this function, I imagine that following sql function
> might beat the plpgsql FOREACH version.
>

> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION input_value_un (in_inputs numeric[], in_input_nr numeric)
>     RETURNS numeric AS
> $BODY$
>
>    SELECT u[1][2]
>    FROM unnest($1, SLICE =1) u
>    WHERE u[1][1]=in_input_nr
>    LIMIT 1;
>
> $BODY$
>     LANGUAGE sql IMMUTABLE;
>

> best regards,
>
> Marc Mamin

Best regards

Aleksej Trofimov

Re: Postgres array parser

From
"Marc Mamin"
Date:
> Yes, it would be great, but I haven't found such a function, which
> splits 2 dimensional array into rows =) Maybe we'll modify existing
> function, but unfortunately we have tried hstore type and function in
> postgres and we see a significant performance improvements. So we only
> need to convert existing data into hstore and I think this is a good
> solution.

I haven't tested hstore yet, but I would be interested to find out if it still better perform with custom "numeric"
aggregateson the hstore values.

I've made a short "proof of concept"  test with a custom key/value type to achieve such an aggregation.
Something like:

   SELECT x, distinct_sum( (currency,amount)::keyval ) overview  FROM ... GROUP BY x

   x currency     amount
   a      EUR       15.0
   a      EUR        5.0
   a      CHF        7.5