optimization

From
croolyc
Date:
Hi!
can you help me with performance optimization
on my machine I have 8 databases with ca. 1-2GB

processor is:
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E3110  @ 3.00GHz
stepping        : 10
cpu MHz         : 2992.585
cache size      : 6144 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E3110  @ 3.00GHz
stepping        : 10
cpu MHz         : 2992.585
cache size      : 6144 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 2
memory: 8GB (4*2GB ecc ram)

hdd: raid 1 (mdadm) - 2x 500GB, ext4 (mounted for /var, without /var/log)

powered with UPS

my English is not very good and I completely lost track while reading
the user manual
i find something like that
http://samiux.wordpress.com/2009/07/26/howto-performance-tuning-for-postgresql-on-ubuntudebian/
but i,m not so sure, reading mha220 comments, that is safe for me & my server :/

greatings

Re: optimization

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
croolyc <croolists@gmail.com> wrote:

> can you help me with performance optimization

For overall tuning you could start here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server

If, after some general tuning, you are having problems with slow
queries, it is best if you pick one and show it with EXPLAIN ANALYZE
output and the schema of the tables involved.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions

-Kevin