Field wise checking the performance.

From
dba

I have two identical tables. But the with of the fields are different. Need
to know whether changing from varchar(100) to varchar(30) will increase the
performance, or its just the memory access.

Re: Field wise checking the performance.

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
On 14.02.2011 14:06, dba wrote:
> I have two identical tables. But the with of the fields are different. Need
> to know whether changing from varchar(100) to varchar(30) will increase the
> performance, or its just the memory access.

It will make no difference. The max length is just a constraint on what
values can be stored, it doesn't affect how the strings are stored. In
both cases, the strings are stored in a variable-length format.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas