Autovacuum in postgres.

From
venu madhav
Date:
Hi All,
       In my application we are using postgres which runs on an embedded box. I have configured autovacuum to run once for every one hour. It has 5 different databases in it. When I saw the log messages, I found that it is running autovacuum on one database every hour. As a result, on my database autovacuum is run once in 5 hours. Is there any way to make it run it every hour.

Thank you,
Venu

Re: Autovacuum in postgres.

From
venu madhav
Date:
One more question " Is is expected ?"

Date:
venu madhav wrote:
> Hi All,
>        In my application we are using postgres which runs on an embedded
> box. I have configured autovacuum to run once for every one hour. It has 5
> different databases in it. When I saw the log messages, I found that it is
> running autovacuum on one database every hour. As a result, on my database
> autovacuum is run once in 5 hours. Is there any way to make it run it every
> hour.

What settings did you change to make it run every hour?  Also, it will
only vacuum tables that need vacuuming.  What version of Postgres are
you using?

Re: Autovacuum in postgres.

Date:
venu madhav wrote:
> Thanks for the reply..
>            I am using postgres 8.01 and since it runs on a client box, I
> can't upgrade it. I've set the auto vacuum nap time to 3600 seconds.

That is an older version of autovacuum that wasn't very capable.

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> > venu madhav wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >        In my application we are using postgres which runs on an embedded
> > > box. I have configured autovacuum to run once for every one hour. It has
> > 5
> > > different databases in it. When I saw the log messages, I found that it
> > is
> > > running autovacuum on one database every hour. As a result, on my
> > database
> > > autovacuum is run once in 5 hours. Is there any way to make it run it
> > every
> > > hour.
> >
> > What settings did you change to make it run every hour?  Also, it will
> > only vacuum tables that need vacuuming.  What version of Postgres are
> > you using?
> >
> > --
> >  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
> >  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Autovacuum in postgres.

From
alvherre
Date:
Excerpts from venu madhav's message of vie may 21 05:38:43 -0400 2010:
> Hi All,
>        In my application we are using postgres which runs on an embedded
> box. I have configured autovacuum to run once for every one hour. It has 5
> different databases in it. When I saw the log messages, I found that it is
> running autovacuum on one database every hour. As a result, on my database
> autovacuum is run once in 5 hours. Is there any way to make it run it every
> hour.

If you set naptime to 12 mins, it will run on one database every 12
minutes, so once per hour for your database.  This is not really the
intended usage though.  You will have to adjust the time if another
database is created.

Re: Autovacuum in postgres.

From
venu madhav
Date:

venu madhav wrote:
> Hi All,
>        In my application we are using postgres which runs on an embedded
> box. I have configured autovacuum to run once for every one hour. It has 5
> different databases in it. When I saw the log messages, I found that it is
> running autovacuum on one database every hour. As a result, on my database
> autovacuum is run once in 5 hours. Is there any way to make it run it every
> hour.

What settings did you change to make it run every hour?  Also, it will
only vacuum tables that need vacuuming.  What version of Postgres are
you using?

--
 Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
 EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Autovacuum in postgres.

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:01 AM, venu madhav <venutaurus539@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply..
>            I am using postgres 8.01 and since it runs on a client box, I
> can't upgrade it. I've set the auto vacuum nap time to 3600 seconds.

You've pretty much made autovac run every 5 hours with that setting.
What was wrong with the original settings?  Just wondering what
problem you were / are trying to solve here.