which hardware setup

From
Pedro Axelrud
Date:
Hello,

I work for a web app to send email newsletters, and I have one question about postgres' performance in two different setups. Actually we have one 4GB Ram VPS running our app server (it's a rails app under nginx and thin) and a 4GB Ram VPS running the database (18GB). We want to migrate to bare metal servers, but I have made two different setups and don't know what is the best option:

Option 1:
App Server: Dual Xeon 5130 dual core with 4GB ram and SATA disk
Postgres: Xeon 3360 quad core with 4GB ram and 2 x 146GB 15k RPM SAS (RAID1) disks

Option 2:
App Server and Postgres: Dual Xeon 5520 quad core with 12GB ram and 2x 146GB 15k RPM SAS (RAID1) disks

I know the first option would be better in terms of I/O for postgres, but our app server doesnt use much I/O and with the second option we would have much more ram.

Thank you

Re: which hardware setup

From
Jesper Krogh
Date:
> Option 2:
> App Server and Postgres: Dual Xeon 5520 quad core with 12GB ram and
> 2x 146GB 15k RPM SAS (RAID1) disks

  you didnt mention your dataset size, but i the second option would
be preferrable in most situations since it gives more of the os memory
for disc caching. 12 gb vs 4 gb for the host running pg

Re: which hardware setup

From
Pedro Axelrud
Date:
Sorry Jesper, I thought I had mentioned.. our dataset have 18GB.

Pedro Axelrud
http://mailee.me
http://softa.com.br
http://flavors.me/pedroaxl