shared_buffers

From
"George Sexton"
Date:
I'm reading the docs for 8.4.2, section 18.4.1 Memory. I'm trying to figure
out what reasonable values for my usage would be.

The doc says:

shared_buffers (integer)

    Sets the amount of memory the database server uses for shared memory
buffers.

While circular definitions are always right, I'm kind of looking for some
information like:

"PostgreSQL uses shared memory buffers for ...."

Could someone please explain what the role of shared buffers is?

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc. - Home of Connect Daily Web Calendar
http://www.mhsoftware.com/
Voice: 303 438 9585

Re: shared_buffers

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
"George Sexton" <georges@mhsoftware.com> wrote:

> Could someone please explain what the role of shared buffers is?

This Wiki page might be useful to you:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server

The short answer (from that page) is:

"The shared_buffers configuration parameter determines how much
memory is dedicated to PostgreSQL use for caching data."

-Kevin