Problem with database performance, Debian 4gb ram ?

From
Massan
Date:
Hi all,

I have now readed many many forums and tried many different solutions and I
am not getting good performance to database. My server is Debian linux, with
4gb ram, there is also java application and I am giving to that 512mb
(JAVA_OPTS) memory. In database there is now like 4milj rows. What should I
do better.
Now .conf is:

max_connections = 80
shared_buffers = 512MB
temp_buffers = 8MB
work_mem = 20MB
maintenance_work_mem = 384MB
wal_buffers = 8MB
checkpoint_segments = 128MB
effective_cache_size = 2304MB
cpu_tuple_cost = 0.0030
cpu_index_tuple_cost = 0.0010
cpu_operator_cost = 0.0005
fsync = off
checkpoint_timeout = 1h

and I am giving kernels like:

sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=1073741824
sysctl -w kernel.shmall=2097152

btw, what file I should modify to give this kernels as defaults ?

Thank you very much ! Hope you can clear my problem !

Re: Problem with database performance, Debian 4gb ram ?

From
Craig James
Massan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have now readed many many forums and tried many different solutions and I
> am not getting good performance to database.

You don't give nearly enough information.  To begin with, why do you think performance is poor?  What exactly are you
measuring? What does your application do, at least in broad terms?  Have you identified any particular SQL queries that
areslow, and if so, have you run EXPLAIN ANALYZE on them?  What is the output of EXPlAIN ANALYZE?

What about your hardware, do you have a single disk, a huge RAID10 array, or something in between?  How much memory,
howmany processors?

The more information you provide, the more likely you will get a good answer.

Craig

> My server is Debian linux, with
> 4gb ram, there is also java application and I am giving to that 512mb
> (JAVA_OPTS) memory. In database there is now like 4milj rows. What should I
> do better.
> Now .conf is:
>
> max_connections = 80
> shared_buffers = 512MB
> temp_buffers = 8MB
> work_mem = 20MB
> maintenance_work_mem = 384MB
> wal_buffers = 8MB
> checkpoint_segments = 128MB
> effective_cache_size = 2304MB
> cpu_tuple_cost = 0.0030
> cpu_index_tuple_cost = 0.0010
> cpu_operator_cost = 0.0005
> fsync = off
> checkpoint_timeout = 1h
>
> and I am giving kernels like:
>
> sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=1073741824
> sysctl -w kernel.shmall=2097152
>
> btw, what file I should modify to give this kernels as defaults ?
>
> Thank you very much ! Hope you can clear my problem !

Re: Problem with database performance, Debian 4gb ram ?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Massan escribió:

> and I am giving kernels like:
>
> sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=1073741824
> sysctl -w kernel.shmall=2097152
>
> btw, what file I should modify to give this kernels as defaults ?

/etc/sysctl.conf