Slow query after upgrade to 8.4

From
Jared Beck
Date:
Hello postgres wizards,

We recently upgraded from 8.1.5 to 8.4
We have a query (slow_query.sql) which took about 9s on 8.1.5
On 8.4, the same query takes 17.7 minutes.

The code which generated this query is written to support the
calculation of arbitrary arithmetic expressions across "variables" and
"data" within our application.  The example query is a sum of three
"variables", but please note that because the code supports arbitrary
arithmetic, we do not use an aggregate function like sum()

We have collected as much information as we could and zipped it up here:

http://pgsql.privatepaste.com/download/a3SdI8j2km

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions you may have,
Jared Beck

--
------------------
Jared Beck

Re: Slow query after upgrade to 8.4

From
tv@fuzzy.cz
Date:
> Hello postgres wizards,
>
> We recently upgraded from 8.1.5 to 8.4
> We have a query (slow_query.sql) which took about 9s on 8.1.5
> On 8.4, the same query takes 17.7 minutes.
>
> The code which generated this query is written to support the
> calculation of arbitrary arithmetic expressions across "variables" and
> "data" within our application.  The example query is a sum of three
> "variables", but please note that because the code supports arbitrary
> arithmetic, we do not use an aggregate function like sum()
>
> We have collected as much information as we could and zipped it up here:
>
> http://pgsql.privatepaste.com/download/a3SdI8j2km
>
> Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions you may have,
> Jared Beck

Tom Lane already replied, so I'm posting just parsed explain plans - I've
created that before noticing the reply, and I think it might be useful.

good (8.1): http://explain.depesz.com/s/1dT
bad (8.4): http://explain.depesz.com/s/seT

As you can see, the real problem is the 'index scan / sort'.

regards
Tomas